Please help

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Good point. With the exception of maybe newer homes, I seriously doubt if many existing houses boast GFIs installed in their inside electrical outlets except possibly the baths.

Meyer - Backwashing thoroughly equates to a 8% water change with 2000 gallon in my pond. How necessary is it to dechlor the whole pond volume for that in your opinion? Chlorine here doesn't smell nor test positive on a pool kit but I've never tested it with something accurate.
Does this help?

Screen Shot 2016-04-29 at 1.15.24 PM.png

Reaction score
Just got home and checked on fish,looking much,much better. The white film on them is gone except on one fish it looks like edges of tail fin are a little ragged still, much more active(they were both just laying at the bottom yesterday when I found them like they were half dead).I just cant get over how bad they looked,the pictures actually look a lot better then they did in person. Hopefully these two little guys or girls will make it to the pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Just got home and checked on fish,looking much,much better. The white film on them is gone except on one fish it looks like edges of tail fin are a little ragged still, much more active(they were both just laying at the bottom yesterday when I found them like they were half dead).I just cant get over how bad they looked,the pictures actually look a lot better then they did in person. Hopefully these two little guys or girls will make it to the pond.

Never would have guessed the heater could have a low voltage leak. Do you have this plugged into a regular outlet or a GFI?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My son always says the best thing to invest in is a surge protector or lightning arrestor for your circuit breaker box also .Sometimes even breakers go bad .If they are loose then they may be a problem

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Is the 1.86 max. Chlorine indicated on the chart in mg/L or what?
The EPA has set the maximum allowable level of Chlorine in drinking water at 4.0 mg/L Typical maintenance levels are generally lower than this
Adding a small percentage of chlorinated water to a pond is not likely to cause any real problems.
Let's use your example of backwashing. 8% of 2000 gallons is 160 gallons. If the maximum allowable level of 4 mg/L is used to compute any Chlorine toxicity then---160 gallons (606 liters) x 4 mg/l = 2424 mg of Chlorine. Total pond capacity = 2000 gallons (7516 liters). 2424 mg Chlorine / 7516 liters = 0.32 mg/L Chlorine concentration. Compare this to the two (2) charts posted below. This level is quite safe.
Koi chlorine tozicity.png

Koi chlorine toxicity 2.jpg

The replacement water should be introduced where the maximum mixing with pond water will occur to further minimize any possible negative effects.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Never would have guessed the heater could have a low voltage leak. Do you have this plugged into a regular outlet or a GFI?
May not be the case here, but this is one good reason not to buy any cheap electricity powered devices for your pond or aquarium.
Had a customer that almost killed all of their Koi the same way because they had wanted to save money by purchasing a cheap pump.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Is the 1.86 max. Chlorine indicated on the chart in mg/L or what?
The EPA has set the maximum allowable level of Chlorine in drinking water at 4.0 mg/L Typical maintenance levels are generally lower than this
Adding a small percentage of chlorinated water to a pond is not likely to cause any real problems.
Let's use your example of backwashing. 8% of 2000 gallons is 160 gallons. If the maximum allowable level of 4 mg/L is used to compute any Chlorine toxicity then---160 gallons (606 liters) x 4 mg/l = 2424 mg of Chlorine. Total pond capacity = 2000 gallons (7516 liters). 2424 mg Chlorine / 7516 liters = 0.32 mg/L Chlorine concentration. Compare this to the two (2) charts posted below. This level is quite safe.View attachment 90632
View attachment 90633
The replacement water should be introduced where the maximum mixing with pond water will occur to further minimize any possible negative effects.

I throw the hose in the skimmer so it comes out at the falls. Yes, that number is extremely minimal. Thanks for those calculations. much appreciated!

Reaction score
My pond is plugged in to a GFI outlet but these are new fish that are in a quarantine tank, the heater was not plugged in to a GFI, it was also a brand new heater that had never been used.

Reaction score
May not be the case here, but this is one good reason not to buy any cheap electricity powered devices for your pond or aquarium.
Had a customer that almost killed all of their Koi the same way because they had wanted to save money by purchasing a cheap pump.
Cant remember the brand Meyer, got it from Petco, was just about 8 inches long ,enough for a 10 gallon tank and $40, I thought it was a little high myself but I just thought it might make the fish fish more comfortable having a steady water temp.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Should I be doing anything for there ragged edges of there fins?

Keep a watch out for it getting worse but with high quality water conditions, you might find it
clear up on it's own. Are the fins just frayed and if so, is there any red, pink or white coloration in the fins? Is it only the tail? The whitish is usually what you'll see if it's not advanced.
Red is more advanced and usually, not always, non specific meaning it could be fungus or bacterial.
Untreated, it can destroy the fin and eventually work it's way into the body assuming it's not the water chemistry. When did you first notice this? has it deteriorated rapidly or has it stayed the same? All important questions to determine what it might possibly be. A scope is the definitive way to know.

if it is bacterial, left untreated, fungal infections can set in secondary... A 20% water change might be the least of the evils. This You Tube link should help ...

I always have this on my shelf but haven't needed to use it! >>> http://www.petmountain.com/product/...ix-antibacterial-remedy-for-koi-goldfish.html

Reaction score
Keep a watch out for it getting worse but with high quality water conditions, you might find it
clear up on it's own. Are the fins just frayed and if so, is there any red, pink or white coloration in the fins? Is it only the tail? The whitish is usually what you'll see if it's not advanced.
Red is more advanced and usually, not always, non specific meaning it could be fungus or bacterial.
Untreated, it can destroy the fin and eventually work it's way into the body assuming it's not the water chemistry. When did you first notice this? has it deteriorated rapidly or has it stayed the same? All important questions to determine what it might possibly be. A scope is the definitive way to know.

if it is bacterial, left untreated, fungal infections can set in secondary... A 20% water change might be the least of the evils. This You Tube link should help ...

I always have this on my shelf but haven't needed to use it! >>> http://www.petmountain.com/product/...ix-antibacterial-remedy-for-koi-goldfish.html
They are frayed on the tail. The best way I can explain it is it looks as if skin is missing, has pointy things sticking out the tips of the tail that skin should be in between. No redness at all. When I found them with the white film on them the tips look like they had skin ganging off the tails. When the white film disappeared is when I noticed the tail fins. Its like skin peeled off. You can kind of see it in the second picture I posted at the beginning of thread

Ask a Question