Please help

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am New the both gardening and fish tanks. I would like to eventually have a pond but am not ready for about another year. In the meantime a friend gave me a fish tank with 2 large gold fish. I also have both water lilies and lotus. My question is this: will my lilies and lotus survive in the fish tank and how do I ensure they have enough light to bloom? Like I said I am new to this and do have them in a vase with stones and water.

Any advice?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Lilies and lotus should be moved outside. They can be put in any container that will hold water.

Goldfish in general need plenty of room, lots of filtration and frequent water changes. Any idea what kind you have? What size tank do you have?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum, agree with the above^^^^^^

Reaction score
Country
United States
I haven’t picked up the tank and goldfish yet but they’ve informed me that they (the goldfish) are actually very big. What plants would you suggest for the tank if any?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Also as far as the lilies and lotus do they have to be in dirt or can they remain in just water in order to bloom?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@Berny Anacharis will go into a fish tank but they will nibble it up. Parrots Feather will work and don't think they will eat much if any of that. I have it in my pond and it's still there. Hornwort they might eat but you can stick some in a separate bowl to keep it handy to add for the fish. I have my lilies w/o soil or any kind of media in a pot but they don't bloom good. You can use 100% clay kitty litter w/o any other perfume or additives as the soil and stick in some fertilizer tabs or Osmocote and they should grow nicely for you.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have easy to grow low to medium light plants in my tanks. Java fern and anubais are both extremely hardy, goldfish don't seem to bother them. They don't need to be planted, just tie (with fishing line) to a rock and the plant will eventually attach to the rock.

I also use a house plant called pothos in most of my tanks. I clean the dirt off and just let the roots hang in the water. They are great at using up nitrates.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
You’ll need a good filter, big tank, standard goldfish grow a foot long and need roughly 60 gallons each. The water will quickly turn murky if the tanks too small. Do 20% water changes weekly, keep pothos in the tank to absorb nitrates, and read up on our tank articles.

Reaction score
Country
United States
View attachment 122567@Berny Anacharis will go into a fish tank but they will nibble it up. Parrots Feather will work and don't think they will eat much if any of that. I have it in my pond and it's still there. Hornwort they might eat but you can stick some in a separate bowl to keep it handy to add for the fish. I have my lilies w/o soil or any kind of media in a pot but they don't bloom good. You can use 100% clay kitty litter w/o any other perfume or additives as the soil and stick in some fertilizer tabs or Osmocote and they should grow nicely for you.
Thank you

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have easy to grow low to medium light plants in my tanks. Java fern and anubais are both extremely hardy, goldfish don't seem to bother them. They don't need to be planted, just tie (with fishing line) to a rock and the plant will eventually attach to the rock.

I also use a house plant called pothos in most of my tanks. I clean the dirt off and just let the roots hang in the water. They are great at using up nitrates.
That’s great thanks

Reaction score
Country
United States
You’ll need a good filter, big tank, standard goldfish grow a foot long and need roughly 60 gallons each. The water will quickly turn murky if the tanks too small. Do 20% water changes weekly, keep pothos in the tank to absorb nitrates, and read up on our tank articles.
Wow I’m so glad I joined thank you all so much

Ask a Question