Please tell me where I'm wrong

Reaction score
Currently:

16ft. X 7 ft. X 2.9 ft pond==app. 2000 gallons
Pumps: 2 EasyPro 4700 GPHs running 24/7
Filtration: a) 1 Easy Pro Aquafalls Medium with 2 rolls of spring flow ribbon and 5 layers matting--head at the falls yields about 2500 gph ;) 2 weeks old Aqua UV Ultima II Bead Filter w/head reducing flow to probably around 3000 gph
UV: Aqua UV 57 watt in line
Fish load: overestimated, to be conservative, at 147 inches but includes 5 koi, and 5 large goldfish. Koi are going to grow. Other fish are goldfish and shebunkins.
Water changes: multiple dealing with low level nitrites.
Supplements: Zeolyte media recharged weekly
History: I blew it about two weeks ago and cleaned the main easypro filter with city water--just about wiped out the beneficials. Since then I've added 2 bottles Microbelift Nite out and one bottle of microbelift PL.
Water parameters: pH 8, ammon=0, nitrites 0.25, nitrates = 12.5, GH= 7 German, KH = 7 German
Plants: multiple water hyiacynths and lillies

Here we go: the plan is to increase size to accomodate the fish growth. I do not want to buy more filtration. that's the question.

1) Expand laterally about 2 ft. which will equal about 9 ft total wide but ONLY the last 15 inches of depth. The initial pond size will not be expanded.
2) Expand length by about 1 ft which will equal about 17 ft.
3) shape is oval so multiply by 0.8.
4) If my math is right this topper will add about 1144 gallons. 17 X 9 X 0.8 X 1.25 X 7.48 = 1144 gallons

The construction plan is simple--line the edges of the new pond size with stacks of bagged concrete. I calculate the circumference of the oval requiring about 32 bags per course. Each course is about 5" tall so 3 courses will make it 15 in.

Once laid in and leveled I will continue to filter using the utlima II system. the other system has the pump in the skimmer which will have to be raised. so I'll shut down that system and raise the skimmer. I will also take this opportunity to rebuild the waterfall with a higher overall water drop for aeration.

Then the plan will be to lay in a new liner OR simply paste an addition in using the available patching materials. Simplest thing will probably be a new liner on top of the old.

You water down the sacks of concrete and they harden and you're all set. The only trick is how to dress it when done.

So, with the filtration and pumps I currently have will they handle 3200 gallons and 5 growing Koi and 150+
fish inches?

Reaction score
OH, BTW, what does one do with one's fish while making modifications? I'll try to time the changes for winter so they'll be largely dormant, but still. Surely others have faced this dilemma.

Rick

Reaction score
They make freestanding temporary ponds for koi shows and quarantine. You could use a kiddie pool, but be wary of fungicides in the plastic, and think about what happens if it deflates. Or, you could build something like this:
http://www.koi-bito.com/forum/99239-post51.html

If you're going to redo the pond, I'd definitely think about going deeper. The koi should have at least four feet, and six would be better. And any area under 2-3 feet deep invites the local herons to stop and have lunch.

Reaction score
Definitely going deeper. I originally dug the hole 50 inches deep on one end and 40 on the other, but the water level once all was said and done was only 32 and 42. Not enough, I know.

Probably what I'll end up doing is dig out the dirt up to the sacks of concrete rather than just leave a shallow shelf. Like you say, leaves the fish too vulnerable. If I end up with an oval 9 ft wide X 17 ft long X an average of 4 ft deep (it'd be 5 at the deep end) the gallons would go up to 9X17X0.8X4X7.48=3660 I still ought to have enough filtration with the two filters, don't you think?

Stock Tank? Since the fish will be largely dormant, how big would I need it to be? I could put it in the garage, I think. Still need filtration right? I wonder if you could rent something like that. The Koi show tanks are pricey.

Reaction score
D&RW said:
I still ought to have enough filtration with the two filters, don't you think?
Yes. The way I look at it, you should size your pump based on the volume of the pond, but size the filters based on the fish and other sources of ammonia. Hence, if you have the same surface area under the same trees, and you keep the same fish, you really don't need more filter just because there is more water in the pond. At some point, though, you might want a little more pump. And of course, some filters don't perform well if you increase the flow too much. But within reasonable limits, I think it's the load that matters, not the volume of the pond.

Reaction score
I re-plumbed the two pumps according to the layout provided in the Atlanta Koi water quality article. The pump in the skimmer now runs into the Aqua UV Ultima II bead filer. On the outflow line is the 57 watt UV light. This increased the flow through the filter but still within its capacity.

The second pump is in the pond near the waterfall. It now feeds the waterfall and because of reduced pipes and joints the flow is increased to 3600 from 3200. I extended the intake pipe from the pump about 8 ft west into the pond so the intake was distant from the outflow on the falls.

This is all I'm going to do till mid-winter. At that point it'll be time to increase the size of the pond. I'm going to let things settle down and cruise until then.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Winter will be here before we know it...Thats when i do my projects too

Reaction score
Right. I'm guessing we only have about 6-8 weeks of warm weather left and then it cools off quite quickly here. Our pond is finally settling in after about 2 months of upheaval. So, I'm definitely going to leave it alone for awhile now. Whew I'm tired.

Reaction score
Yup a new kid here, you are in Salem and I am in Tualatin.
Pretty much right in between us is Pearls of Paradise in Dayton.
If any really difficult questions, they would be a good source for info.
I use there older style filter boxes (bought15 years ago) and still use the original
media. Shocked ehh? I even hose them out every few months with the house water.
I like the idea of stacking cement bags,sounds very practical, good luck with your project.:)

Ask a Question