pleco in natural pond in central to south texas

Reaction score
Hello. I read other info about plecos in koi ponds. My so called dwarf pleco is now almost 9". I have a 30 gal tank. There is a pond outside my apartment where 2 to 3 koi have lived for 3 yrs here. My tank is too small for a large pleco. There is algae & lots of vegetation. Can I put him there?

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
It is my understanding that a pleco is a warm water fish. If it gets cold out there, it will die. My pleco lives in 72F temp water.

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. I have a friend who has a 50 gal tank with dwarf pleco. Curious if we swapped, or find a new home elsewhere.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
At 9" in a 30 gallon tank I would at least wait until spring to put it in any pond. The fish can live in that size tank through the winter with good maintance.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I think the plecos can survive in water that stays over 60 degrees, but will suffer below that. Not sure what temps you have in the winter time there. Agree, don't put it in a pond unless the owner of the pond is aware. I had one in my pond before I realized it had to come in for the winter. Had to sell it, grew from about 6" to over 11" in just 3 months. New owners had a HUGE aquarium for it.

Ask a Question