Plugging pump into timer

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi there. We recently purchased an Aquascape AquaSurge® 2000 Pond Pump as part of a DIY pondless waterfall kit. I'm pretty sure that I read in the instructions that the pump is not to be connected to an extension cord but rather plugged directly into a GFCI outlet. But I was wondering if the pump could be first plugged into an outdoor rated timer with the timer then plugged into the GFCI outlet? Something perhaps like this:

I don't want to void any warranty, nor do I want to create any sort of dangerous situation, but I would like the pump on a timer if at all possible.

Thanks very much in advance for your thoughts!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The cord on that timer looks very short, so should not be an issue. The reasons you're not supposed to use a an extension cord for a permanent fixture like a pond pump are:

1. Longer electric run requires larger gauge wires. Most people don't know how to properly size an extension cord.
  2. The connection between the extension cord and the device's cord is typically exposed to weather and can cause a shock hazard or create likely point for corrosion.
If you oversize the extension cord, make it as short as possible, and weatherize the connection, there's really no issue using an extension cord.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
There are timers for pool pumps do not use a light timer they will heat up they are for a couple hundred watts not 1300 watts like a pool pump

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Thanks everyone. GBBUDD, that Aquascape pump's specs say that it only pulls 160W so I'm assuming that it wouldn't need a special, higher wattage timer? Does anyone have a good specific suggestion for an appropriate timer? I really just yanked that one linked to above out of Google pretty much "randomly".

Thanks!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Have not delt with them myself but at 160 wats that sounds really low and a possible ooops

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Make sure the wattage of the pump doesn't exceed the rated wattage of the timer.

Position the timer and any female plugs as to not allow water to accumulate inside the (female) recess. For example, the female end of an extension cord should be positioned so the the female part is down and it's cord is facing up. Hope this makes sense.

I have found that covering extension cord connections with electrical tape only traps water and will only cause eventual corrosion and electrical shorts.
It's best to just position them as I stated above, which will allow any possible water to drain out and preventing any water from being trapped.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I wonder how long it will be until this bull woke bs finds electrical and plumbing and insists its sexist to talk male and female fittings. i almost spit out my drink as i was watching tv and Sheros was used god help us.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Just stick with ambiguous descriptions: "Long pointy things" "Holes for long pointy things" and you could reasonably be discussing electrical junctions, plumbing pieces, or a full-on Roman orgy...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Why don't we stop the bs and call them man holes and stop taking things so damn literally. tooooo much damn drama

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You didn't read all the posts that is unless you like people holes.
They want to change some things ok but for god sake stop the bs access hole works without getting stupid

Ask a Question