plumbers putty on shower drain

Reaction score
So im putting on the shower drain now, but im not sure where to use the plumbers putty. I has the rubber seal on top and the cardboard like one on the bottom. Should I just use it on the bottom outside seal where the bottom hole is not so smooth? Im thinking there is no point in using it on the top but will if it will help.
Thanks.

FredrikAnderson

Koi Herder
Reaction score
If you just tighten it up real good the rubber seal should do it's job. Even when I use them on showers I don't use plummers puddy. It should be designed to make a good seal. I would think that you would only need to add to the rubber seal if you have some added force on the seal, like the piping being pulled to one side or the other or on a really rough surface.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
On a shower i put the putty on the shower side ,,on the other side you have the rubber ,then the card board friction ring,.. and nut
In a pond i would use silicone instead of putty

Reaction score
It is for the filter stock tank. I thought it was plumbers putty that was recomended, but now I see it is Plumbers Goop, which is more like silicone. I will get a tube of that and use on top flange and inside hole, and I will figure out way to smooth the bottom better and keep the rubber and friction gasket on the bottom/outside. Simple question but glad I waited and asked as I need this to be 100% leak proof for a long time as I dont want to have to pull the tank out. I got a strap wrench as my drains dont have nuts, so I should be able to get it good and tight with that and a hammer and screwdriver. Thanks.

Reaction score
I use PL roofing and flashing sealant. The good thing about it is that if you ever need to remove it, it can be stripped off. The goop stuff stays on and is very hard to remove. Almost impossible.

If you're wondering, the roofing sealant is fish safe.

Ask a Question