plumbing advice sought

SE18

David V
Reaction score
I've got a cattle trough, about 10 inches deep, 3' x 4'. Planning to place it at stream headwaters and fill with Irisis. Want water to continue out into my current concrete stream channel then into my current aqueduct and canals.

So here's the question. I need the water to exit this thick plastic trough. I'm thinking ball valve and some PVC and a circle cutter. The PVC would somehow need to be sealed somehow. As for falling leaves (it's under a tree), I'm thinking some large rocks near the pvc outlet, mixed with gravel will prevent leaf clogging.

So, how do you do it? Materials that is. I'm sure it could be done in multiple ways. Just curious before I go to Lowes tomorrow so I get needed materials.

Related to this project, in the future I intend to build some rain barrels and knowing this procedure will be good to use for that project as well.

As usual, thanks in advance. Been enjoying my current setup, but here in Virginia it's been so darned hot to go outside, even with all the shade trees.

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
google bulkhead fittings, they are made for just that sort of thing, also in a pickle, a shower drain is about the same, rubber gaskets help seal the thing together.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I used bulk head fittings from pet mountain .but even though there was a gasket I still added some silicon .Remember if you are going to add fittings to your bulkhead go a little bigger because the fitting will cut down on the size .Rain barrels are easy I just used a faucet hose bib .and washers and silicon (really did not care if they leaked ) this way I could add fertilizer to the rain barrel connect my hose and feed at the same time .But remember you may need mosquito dunks .I put them 5 inches from the bottom so it was easy to connect the hose.I just tip them to get the last of the water out .

SE18

David V
Reaction score
thx for insights. I must remember to turn barrel upside down this time over winter

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
Rain barrels are easy I just used a faucet hose bib .and washers and silicon (really did not care if they leaked ) this way I could add fertilizer to the rain barrel connect my hose and feed at the same time .But remember you may need mosquito dunks .I put them 5 inches from the bottom so it was easy to connect the hose.I just tip them to get the last of the water out .

This isn't really related to the topic, but to your rain barrel, if you have the type of rain barrel that you can seal back up, screw the lid back on, or whatever put a tire valve in it so you can pressurize that bad boy and it takes so much less time to water.

I haven't built a barrel yet, but my grandpa has been pulling one in a cart behind his gator, since there has been a drought and he had planted some new trees this year, he said he was spending a couple hours a day every couple of days watering those trees until he finally decided to put a tire valve on the barrel, and has a tiny little air compressor that you can plug into a 12 volt lighter socket. Now he said he waters those same trees in half the time.

I tried finding it on the web, i found this, its not on a rain barrel, but the same concept applies.

http://lawrencebrewers.org/lbgforum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1925

SE18

David V
Reaction score
got install done; construction photos; not yet finished

also, spotted grey tree frog in deck container and a newbee, a green froggy; I'm totally psyched!

Attachments

• DAV_6907.jpg
    DAV_6907.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 291
  • DAV_6908.jpg
    DAV_6908.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 259
  • DSC04374.jpg
    DSC04374.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 280
  • DSC04375.jpg
    DSC04375.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 292

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I thought i would love having frogs but no so many that they clog up the filters and clog up even the pump

SE18

David V
Reaction score
thanks; sissy, I'll have to fill my pickup truck with some of those frogs

If I shut my system off in winter and leave water in there, do you think the plastic will have room to expand? Seems pretty flexible and I'd hate to disturb any wintering plants.

now I have to think about what plants to put in that tub. It's full shade. Any ideas? I think someone said Irisis. water only about 6 or 8" deep. Guess I need to throw some dirt or something in there for the plants to root in as well.

maybe I should create another post for different topic; one thing leads to another

thanks again

DaveV

Ask a Question