Plumbing to convert pre-filter to Sieve

Reaction score
I want to change my existing set up.

Currently I run a 4" bottom drain into a hydro-sieve then to pump.

I want to replace the hydro-sieve with a Cetus sieve. ( I know...should have just went this route to begin with lol)

My question is this.

The plumbing goes from the bottom drain to near the top of the hydro sieve (near pond water level) But to remove that and add the Cetus the pipe would need to go back down

to enter the sieve at the correct location. Would this be a bad setup? cause air lock etc?

Are there other ways to make this work without digging back to where the pipe is at a lower level. (mine is covered with waterfall rock so would be major work) but I would like to keep it gravity fed

Thanks in advance for your input.

Justin

Reaction score
Besides a slight lose in flow because of the extra turn there should be no problem as long as the plumbing is all below your pond water level. I would install a small T and a valve at the top to act as an air release valve, that should take care of any possible air lock problems.

Reaction score
Great. I was thinking of adding the T and valve. just in case.

Now I just need to find the space to dig the pit for the sieve.

Thanks

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Pics, diagrams? I'm going to be doing this as well, Very soon. I have a single 4" BD as well, Have two Cetus sieves, Not sure if I should run one or both, I got a good deal on two and grabbed it while the getting was good. I also have to dig the filter pit and design the layout. Honestly I'm a liitle over whelmed. Even as many ponds as I have been involved in I really wish I had someone closer to help in this project. I'll be very interested in following along on this thread as well. I have learned to put a lost of trust in WB's and Mucky's input. Hopefully we can both learn some from each other. What are you planning after the pumps? I'm seriously thinking shower filtration, But also thinking a gravelbed filter for fine removal as well.

Reaction score
But also thinking a gravelbed filter for fine removal as well.
You mean sand & gravel filter? Have to get the lingo down first.

On the Cetus whether to run two or one depends on the flow. They max out a bit over 4500 GPH I think. Maybe different models these days.

Reaction score
Hi Justin, I reading your post and would like your take on the Hydo-sieve. Does it work or not work, was thinking of putting one before my Eazy Pod. Thanks,
Mike

Reaction score
Hi Justin, I reading your post and would like your take on the Hydo-sieve. Does it work or not work, was thinking of putting one before my Eazy Pod. Thanks,
Mike

Mike. It depends on how you define work or not work. Basically I was given the advice before I bought mine that it is "not much more than a big leaf basket" I bought it anyway. Yes it does catch large debris such as leaves and muck. If you don't empty it often it will restrict the flow to the pump. The other issue I had was when I direct buried it...the ground pressure sort of warped the plastic tub and it made removing the leaf basket more difficult. For my setup I wish I had not purchased this and instead just used that money to go ahead and purchase a sieve. I feel it would work much better (at least based on what I have read on this forum). I guess it could work for some setups...but for my 4" bottom drain to pump then to bio filter this hydro sieve does not work. As a matter of fact I just got inside from digging it up and
am going to dig a pit tomorrow to house a sieve.
Hope this helps
Justin

Ask a Question