PLZ HELP - Koi issues after delivery

Reaction score
Im so sad :(

Fedex FORGOT my fish (despite the LIVE FISH) all over the box . I ordered live plants and the fish and they delivered the plants but forgot the fish on the truck. Shame :(

Had to call around all day and get to the bottom of it. Tried saying the package wasnt there. Anyways I just had someone pick up the fish for me and they said it doesn't look good. Said it was laying on its side. I'm about to see it myself.

Really worried and not quite sure what to do. I have a QT tank set up, should I treat the Koi with anything ? Thank you

Reaction score
Cant delete post but Fish was DOA. But if anyone sees this it may be best to avoid Fedex. Despite the express overnight shipping it sounds like this happens a lot.

:(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
sorry for your bad experience. I'd had UPS deliver several times and they always arrive at 10:30 a.m. as guaranteed. Not that I didn't want them earlier, but at least they got to me and all survived. I'd ask the seller to ship via UPS next time. Though, I bet a lot depends on the driver in your area. Maybe call ahead the day of and 'nudge' them into NOT FORGETTING?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@k01fishfam
Oh no! I’m so sorry! Where did you purchase the koi? The FedEx issue notwithstanding, but most fish stores/sellers guarantee their fish to be alive and healthy on delivery. You might want to contact the seller in this case — but note that some sellers require that you notify them within a very specific time frame — and see if they want to deal with it on their end. The seller needs to be aware of what happened. Maybe they can file a claim with FedEx. IDK, but just a suggestion. Seems like this is an issue between seller and carrier, rather than buyer and carrier.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
People ship live fish?
Oh my word I've never heard of anything like this in the uk..... how awful for the fish being bumped around in the post!
Our couriers are known for mistreating packages that ask for careful handing :(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
People ship live fish?
Oh my word I've never heard of anything like this in the uk..... how awful for the fish being bumped around in the post!
you would be suprised how many quality companys ship fish in the uk literally hundreds,ive had many fish "through the post" never had any problems, welcome to the forum :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I've only had one fish shipped and it was through Fed Ex. Everything went off without a hitch and my updates were precise. I'm so sorry this happened :(

Reaction score
sorry for your bad experience. I'd had UPS deliver several times and they always arrive at 10:30 a.m. as guaranteed. Not that I didn't want them earlier, but at least they got to me and all survived. I'd ask the seller to ship via UPS next time. Though, I bet a lot depends on the driver in your area. Maybe call ahead the day of and 'nudge' them into NOT FORGETTING?
Thank you so much. UPS is much better in my experience as well. I'm not sure I can make any decisions based off the sellers shipment options but for the future I will be sure to check what carrier they do use and make sure it is UPS.

Reaction score
@k01fishfam
Oh no! I’m so sorry! Where did you purchase the koi? The FedEx issue notwithstanding, but most fish stores/sellers guarantee their fish to be alive and healthy on delivery. You might want to contact the seller in this case — but note that some sellers require that you notify them within a very specific time frame — and see if they want to deal with it on their end. The seller needs to be aware of what happened. Maybe they can file a claim with FedEx. IDK, but just a suggestion. Seems like this is an issue between seller and carrier, rather than buyer and carrier.
Thank you :( Yes fish was guaranteed and I've been refunded which I'm grateful for. Luckily deciding upon this purchase I wanted to make sure a guarantee and refund was optional if there were any issues. The fedex experience was a different experience - after calling the 800 number (shipping place was different then an actual store so there was no live number to reach which was sketchy too having a live delivery) and being told the shipping facility would not allow me to pick up I finally got through to someone who was able to give me the correct info. Not sure I can do much about that being it's such a big company , but I'll look into the claim option and see if it's worth it. I'm not one to make a big deal about things but I do feel there did not do their due diligence and it was disappointing and heartbreaking the koi was DOA (feel so bad!!). I'm too much of an animal lover to keep my mouth shut on this one so thanks for the tip ;)

Oh koi was purchased from liveaquaria which is not a typical company I would go through as they aren't a koi breeder, but my first koi that I was gifted was SO beautiful and the kindest one I have so I wanted to try again since I was going for a younger/smaller one. Don't wish any live animal to not make it though :/ I'm not going to be going through them anymore and gonna be holding off on delivery options for now (kinda traumatized).

I have 3 other Koi that I purchased within this last year through Kloubec Koi - they are exceptional and have happy , beautiful fish and healthy koi. Lots of options from young ones to 12" and have a great selection to chose from. They ship through UPS, provide constant updates and tracking of UPS driver. Guarantee's on all koi and they arrive healthy and happy despite being shipped. I'm sure I have many more to discover but yes they rock (Kloubec)

Last edited:
Reaction score
People ship live fish?
My exact reaction getting my first live fish delivered !
It's def something to think about because it is stressful on them . But if you are truly out of options and can not get them in person (like my situation currently) then it's pretty crazy and neat huh? Not that I want to, but I imagine the reality is that many carriers mistreat or just don't consider as they should :( The best thing is if you know your delivery driver and carrier and it's a regular person that is thorough and helpful. But yes, check it out! I'll spend hours just browsing even if I'm not purchasing ,its fascinating.

Reaction score
I've only had one fish shipped and it was through Fed Ex. Everything went off without a hitch and my updates were precise. I'm so sorry this happened :(
Yay Tula ! I'm happy to hear you had a better experience and that your fish was delivered safely. I would have hoped for that and understand there's always a risk or things that can happen. Wished better for the lil guy , I appreciate your sympathy !

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Start right is a product commonly used in the aquarium trade here in the usa . i don't know what they have in the uk but it is basically aloe and it does help the fish rejuvenate the slime coat and that is a fishes fish line of defense

Ask a Question