water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
DrDave said:
Do you have any Nation Forests nearby? There is usually a lot of old growth and decaying wood around since they don't clean it up.

Lol we have woods in our own back yard, not touched in years, but until winter I can't go in there. Too much poison ivy. I told honey this year we are doing a woods stroll. We have about 2 acres that are wooded. Here we have skinny trees because of crowding. The previous owner never touched them. Hoping to find something back there. If not there are a lot of woods around, I just have to be careful, the poison ivy even gets me in the dead of winter. It grows like huge vines here.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Re: my first pond a work in progress

You do know how to identify it I trust? or is it so thick you cannot negotiate around it. If it is, Roundup works on poison ivy, oak and sumac. Spray a private pathway through it.

I had a bunch of poison oak on my northeast corner of my property. I sprayed it years ago and now it is history.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

Oh yes I sure do, the week before our wedding, snow on the ground, my dad wanted me to dig up some bulbs, my hand brushed a root of the stuff, I did not know it was a root from poison ivy. Needless to say I had poison ivy on my hand, legs, arm for our wedding, lol.

I have been spraying it, but it is thick and co-mingled with good plants. This year around 7 feet high on our fences, with the honeysuckle. So just staying out of the woods until we can clear a good path. We are thinking of taking the tractor and pushing through, but then the dead leaves give me the stuff too.

Attachments

• DSC01085.jpg
    DSC01085.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 235
  • DSC01086.jpg
    DSC01086.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 198

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score

3 leaves on every stem and silver on the backside.

I know what you mean about roots. I lost a cat to old age and since she came to us from the wild, I decided to bury her in a canyon by a stream. I dug the hole and when I placed her in the grave, my hand brushed up against a root. I was so uset by my loss that I didn't notice the plant. I rubbed my eyes and within 48 hours, I was in ER with puss oozing out of my face. They had me on a steroid regiment to get rid of it. The doctor spent 20 minutes researching a cure.

Probably more information than our readers want to know. It is good to have this knowledge however.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

Little white berries also, they hang below the leaves when it is a happy plant.......

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score

Then you won't want to use Roundup, it will kill the leaves and still leave viable roots and stems. Roundup is still good, just mix it up with some brush killer (Ortho makes a good one) to really hurt the roots and stems. You can spray heavy now, while you can see it, and come spring, a lot less will come back. This mix works very well on kudzu also, if your area is blessed with this monster.

On the brighter side, poison ivy is beautiful in the fall, and kudzu vines make really easy and sturdy wreaths.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score

I thought Roundup was systemic. That used to be in their commercials. Doesn't that mean it gets the roots?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

DrDave said:
I thought Roundup was systemic. That used to be in their commercials. Doesn't that mean it gets the roots?

Yes roundup is systemic, it will get the roots. They make one that is specific for poison ivy and hard to kill vines. If you do a good spray job the plant is history.

I use it to get rid of grass for areas I am trying to convert to gardens.

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score

What they say and what actually works have proven (to me) to be two different things. I have found Roundup to be very effective at kiiling roots of noninvasive grass and broadleaf weeds, but of much lesser effectiveness at removing woody vines and invasive grass like bermuda. Perhaps your experience has been different in your area, as for me, I have young children. I am not taking chances with poison ivy.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score

I buy it as a concentrate from Costco. They only have it certain times of the year. 1 gallon can make up to 96 gallons of spray. It is much less expensive this way and you controll the strength. With an acre or land, I get a lot of weeds since I am surrounded by undeveloped property. The wind blows the seeds all over. I get a lot of volunteer mexican fan palms sprouting. Roundup has not only kept them in check, I have used it on a 2' tall one just to see how effective it is. The tree is dead.

The only complaint I have is it takes 10 days or so to work. I guess everything worth having takes time.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I get my round up at the farm co op were they sell chemicals and seed 2 gal for 35 bucks
they pump it out of their bulk tank

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have farm coops will check to see if they have it. That stuff is expensive.

Thanks

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
DrCase said:
I get my round up at the farm co op were they sell chemicals and seed 2 gal for 35 bucks
they pump it out of their bulk tank

Is this the concentrate that makes 96 gallons from one gallon? If so, that is a great price. Costco gets almost $100 for a gallon of concentrate.

Ask a Question