Polar Vortex moving down East Coast of US towards Florida

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
It was on the national news here in the UK last night and the trouble you guys are getting down the east coast of the US and central US .
Weve been following this story because of last years terrible storms that the UK was hit by one after another week after week cause by the Jet stream forcing the cold from the Arctic down onto you by what is termed the polar Vortex .
We sympathize for all the damage and loss of lfe this is causng, we hardly get snow in the South West of the UK but I can remember as a chld the wnter of 1963 which was horrific wit roads blocked for weeks on end right the way u to April of that year,,,,,,
Last night they gave out a warning that Polar vortex is being forced down south towards Florida so it may well be an idea if you have fish like plecos whch are a tropical species o other trpicals in your ponds to remve them to safety indoors so that the intense cold doesnt kill your fish off .
We are bracing ourselves here on the West Coast of the UK for our first major storm set to hit us from today onwards with damaging winds exess rain causing flooding to the area where we live.
It is going to hit us at exactly the wrong time and low lying land lke the summerset levels could well be at risk because the storm is set to hit us bang on a spring tide which will raise the water levels over and above that of the storm. and over and above that of a spring tide.
Those poor people are only just getting their lives back to normal after last years horrific flooding some are sadly not insured because of the high Premiums placed on them by the insurance and one wonders what on earth they are going to do this time around.
The problem is that over many generations it was seen as desirable to build on flood plains.......:(
So members from the South of the US remember to lock up your tropicals and make sure your coldwater fish are well and hat they are protected ....
Remember to test on a regular basis especially if your pond freezes over , try to keep an airhole open too the pond and hopefully thngs will be OK for you all bear in mind however that if the ponds of down south in the US do freeze you may unless you protect it loose your UV-C which s a must.

Dave

Dave

Last edited:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks Dave, it has been hitting for the last week or more.
Here the day temps have been sitting in the teens, nights near zero. My pond finally dropped down to 39F. The ice covering , last measure, was 8 inches.

Darn cold, currently 2f it will hit below 0 before the sun comes up. I see my fish swimming around now and then, but the lens is murky, the lens needs to be cleaned, can't get to it.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I hope it stays away from Louisiana! The pond will be OK, but I worry here about icy roads and crazy drivers who don't have the sense to know that ice on the roads is dangerous!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It says as far south as Florida .Minus 9 degrees this morning and some areas called off school here because of the cold .Sun is out and warming everything

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Polar vortex is an interesting media term, but I see these temps every year. Some years they stay longer than others, and some years slightly worse than others but its all the same.

However, those down in Florida think its "freezing" in the 50°s... :LOL::ROFLMAO:

I remember my cousins came up here from Florida one year for the 4th of July and it got down to 57° that night while we were sitting out watching the fireworks and they were all under blankets saying it was cold. It was so funny.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I'll be planting my feet here on the west coast for the rest of my life. I would not like all that cold icy weather one bit. I hope this weather changes to warmer temps for all of you soon. How long is this supposed to last?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
-14 here this morning. Temps are to rise this week end, so am hoping to check on my pond. I can't see it, as snow is resting on top of my taunt net. My koi have never endured this type of cold, so naturally I'm worried. I actually wouldn't mind if Mother Nature "thinned out" some of my koi fry. I feel bad for saying that, but I'm going to have to lower the water, catch and re-home them this Spring.....they seem pretty scrappy though!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I am in Florida. Any sub-freezing weather that we experience is very short-lived due to the moderating effect of the Gulf of Mexico and the natural behavior of the Jet Stream. Last year was the worse winter that we have sen in a long time and we only saw small areas of ice form on ponds. These usually melted during daytime hours. Another factor in our favor is the ground temperatures RARELY drop below 60F. Last winter is dropped to 56F, hardly cause for alarm.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Polar vortex is an interesting media term, but I see these temps every year. Some years they stay longer than others, and some years slightly worse than others but its all the same.

However, those down in Florida think its "freezing" in the 50°s... :LOL::ROFLMAO:

I remember my cousins came up here from Florida one year for the 4th of July and it got down to 57° that night while we were sitting out watching the fireworks and they were all under blankets saying it was cold. It was so funny.
:LOL: so very true :happy:

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I am in Florida. Any sub-freezing weather that we experience is very short-lived due to the moderating effect of the Gulf of Mexico and the natural behavior of the Jet Stream. Last year was the worse winter that we have sen in a long time and we only saw small areas of ice form on ponds. These usually melted during daytime hours. Another factor in our favor is the ground temperatures RARELY drop below 60F. Last winter is dropped to 56F, hardly cause for alarm.
I certainly hope not Meyer but if I think caution should be called for they say its going to be there quite a while .

Dave

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I certainly hope not Meyer but if I think caution should be called for they say its going to be there quite a while .

Dave

You are getting a different weather forecast than we are. Our forecast for Sunday is 71F high/61F low. No sub-freezing temps are predicted after that.
In the Winter months, we always experience what we affectionately call 'YO-YO' weather. Below freezing temps one night followed by temps in the 70sF 24-36 hours later, then in another 3 - 4 days temps below freezing again. These below freezing temps are short-lived though, usually 4 to 8 hours.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I would not like all that cold icy weather one bit.

Its the snow that I don't like. These periodic cold spells (teens or lower) wouldn't be so bad without snow. I'd be going outside a lot more and probably even sit out by the fire pit with a nice fire going.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
This yoyo weather sucks .Insurance company cannot even look at the damage to the roof until snow melts and they can see it .Not worried about carport but guest house is finished inside .So this cold weather sucks .I cannot get my gravel delivered either because the piles at the stone yard are frozen .Guy does not want to break the teeth on the loader .Cold effects every thing

Ask a Question