'Polar Vortex'

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Yes, very cold. I worry a bit about my fish, as they've not wintered in this extreme cold before.

Reaction score
Hi Andy,

Yeah, it is newsworthy, but it isn't anything we haven't witnessed before. You've had it over there and we've had it over here many times. The news media just make a big deal about it because it sells papers and gets people to flock to their websites to view advertisements and that makes someone money! It isn't related to global warming (which is a non-sensical term conjured up by people who either aren't educated or by those who are (so-so) and want to pull some strings and upset people to get legislation altered towards their favor so they can make money from the uneducated population.

Neither is right, of course, but that doesn't change the fact that it is doggone cold outside right now! Burrrrr!

Catfishnut

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
-17 here, with wind chills approaching -50 degrees. It's definitely cold! The pond has a good layer of insulating snow though, so I'm not too worried about the fish. The pump is still pumping, water is still flowing over the falls - it's all good! It looks like one more day of this and then the worst will be over... for now anyway!

Reaction score
Here in Virginia we are not used to this type of weather......And our News People have gone off the deep end..... Some of school systems are closed tomorrow and others on a two hour delay. This kind of weather is unheard of in the mid Atlantic. Stay warm and safe yall.........

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
bettasngoldfish said:
Tula do you have any idea what the water temperature is in your pond?
No I don't. An area is open from the aerator, but not I'm thinking I should have just used the deicer, which is also going, as I've been reading that you want a small opening in very cold temps. One more day of these temps, then a warm up starts on Wed….high almost 50 on Saturday. I'm keeping my fingers crossed my fish will be ok. Kim

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Austria
Most of the time we get -10C in winter dipping to -20C. I use an Aerator with a covered polystyrene ring to keep an area ice free.... The fish survived using this just fine.

Good to hear that there's as much exageration over there as there is here. Stay safe.

cheers,

Andy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I am in Ohio. Temp is -2*. Wind chill is -25*. Just checked the pond temp, my thermometer only goes down to 30*. It was at that mark on the side that has the de-icer. The other side is under ice, so I have no idea how cold that water is. All the fish are under the ice.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cisifom

Latest Threads