Poll how old were your fish when they began to beg?

How old were your fish when they started begging?

• Total voters

FountainMan

Dihydrogen Monoxide-scaping.
Reaction score
We've all gone through the process of introducing new fish into a pond. Usually at first they're really shy. But after a while they get used to human companionship. And the next thing you know they're all lined up at the surface begging for food. And they follow you until you feed them. They're almost as bad as my cats when you shake the treat bag.

So anyway how long do your fish take before they're comfortable enough to beg for food?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I didn't feed my goldfish for several years but started doing so eventually so it seems now that I have some bigger fish that I've had for a long time the little ones seem to follow suit now even tho the pellets are too big for their mouths. So they all come when they see me except for the just hatched ones which take a year or so to feel comfortable out in the open.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5B
My first fish were common brown minnows. They never warmed up to me even after I added the gold fish. Let me tell you about it...lol. I put the minnows in thinking my grandson would love to sit and watch them. Well was I ever wrong... they hide, and even worse, they blend in. Oh, they'd eat their fair share.... just as you left the side of the pond. HECK! Standing back you could see the frenzy with some of them actually breaching like little brown whales!.... So, since the minnows wouldn't cooperate, I bought a bunch of feeder gold fish ( some of which now weigh in at 64 lbs.... kidding, lol). At least you could follow them and see where they hide.

It took about a month before they'd actually come up to get their feed with you still sitting there, however now as soon as they see the white container, they come-a-charging yelling something in goldfish speak that I'm sure translates to "CHUCK WAGON!", or "COFFEE TRUCK!" As for the minnows, I think most fell victim to Racoons. I have none left at all however, my gold fish are my constant backyard companions (even when my cat and dog are sitting beside me at feeding time).

Ask a Question