sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
For me it is all the foresting going on here .Not just air pollution be sight and noise pollution .is that included .One lot was 340 acres and another lot here was over 800 acres and there was one on the way to my sisters that says 288 acres and one on Axton RD was over 600 acres and one on Cascade rd was over 500 acres as now they have signs in front of them for sale and list acreage .They are still cutting down trees by the Axton dump so no clue how many acres and the one on Highway 58 is 422 acres and there are 6 others that are in the process of being marked with flags to be cut down .Oh and can add I add in the weed control they spray for the huge power towers .It kills trees 7 ft tall

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
What would you get when these foresters pile every thing up in huge piles that is scrap and burn it ?The other forester here lets the pellet company come in and pick up the scraps to make pellets for pellet stoves

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
We live but a stones throw away from the Plymouth express way and in the years weve been living here the traffic has trebled so I'm wondering just how much in the way of pollutants ponds attract ?
Interestingly this route was gifted to Plymouth from the US army circa WWII (y)

Dave

Reaction score
Country
United States
Another possible suspect in your disaster that was overlooked....... burn particulate matter picked up by rain. Are you aware of any large burns or industrial activity in your area that could have contaminated the rain that you received?

I am not aware of anything going on at that time (but that doesn't mean it didn't)

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
As far as I know the main source of pollution in my pond is air pollution. My water source is heavily treated and constantly tested, I use 'drinking water safe' hoses to fill with, but that's not to say there aren't toxins that I'm not aware of. I don't live near any industrial company, they're all downwind! But in winter we do get some nasty inversions trapping the air in the valley and prompting heath warnings and temporary wood burning bans. Normally they only last a couple days but some have gone for weeks. The snow gets a brown tint to it, and that's what's going in the pond. And I usually don't do water changes in winter because the hoses have all been disconnected, sometimes I think the water must be bad but I don't feed in winter either. I don't really do anything in the depth of winter to the pond other than monitor it. What else could I do? Whatever precip we get goes in the pond.

This years bug population forced me to spray several toxic chemicals around the yard, to no avail it would seem, but always watched for the pond when doing so. I've had several good pond years now, sorry don't own a test kit for quite awhile now but I'm getting a renewed interest in my pond now I see a quality test kit in my future. Is there a test for specific toxins we backyarders should look for? Pesticides ect. I must say I've been a lazy ponder lately. But still the fish live and the water runs clear.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I am glad for the rain because it is a relief from all that noise and dust blowing in the air .They are cutting down 600 acres on Martin rd less than 2 miles from my house .I now it is mostly pine trees All i hear is rain and it is sweet

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
This is what's in my water before it goes in the pond.... Not sure how bad some of this is for fish.
http://quality.tmwa.com/wqr/english/TMWAENG.pdf
They list the lows and highs, nothing alarming except maybe the high Nitrate @ 5.9 And Nitrogen @ 3.5
Looks good on paper, but how does it taste to fish.

Last edited:

Ask a Question