Polyurethane foam instead of batting?

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I have been using a seat cushion made of batting as an additional filter in my pot and it's getting kinda ratchety so I asked the hub to get another one from Wally World. They didn't have what I wanted so he picked up a polyurethane foam cushion instead. Can I use it as a filter?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It will get clogged fast and if it is treated with water repellant it will not except water at all .If you can't get what you need try lowes for there reusable filters for heaters .I also use pads for buffer machines that are sold at lowes

Attachments

• pond parts 001.JPG
    pond parts 001.JPG
    210.4 KB · Views: 350

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Darn it. Well I have a roll of batting I can use but I like the stiffness of the seat cushion, it sits in the pot perfectly and was hoping the foam would work. I'll just return it and next time they get those cushions in I'll get a spare. The one I've got is still working but it's getting raggedy from all the use.
Thanks so much Sissy. :D

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
buffer pads come in different courses this is the fine ones

Attachments

• pond and other stuff 2015 043.JPG
    pond and other stuff 2015 043.JPG
    192.8 KB · Views: 355

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I wouldn't use it. In addition to "quilt batting," they also make pre-sized poly-batting inserts for pillow -- same stuff, just pressed into a square [rectangle?] shape. I've used those and they work.

Oh, and T, you've done it again.....

image.jpg

Oh, yeah, and it's getting posted!!!

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
they also make pre-sized poly-batting inserts for pillow -- same stuff, just pressed into a square [rectangle?] shape.
That's what I got, probably for a cushion, but it fits perfectly into my pot and the corners allow it to stay under the lip of the pot. I just need more of it!
I have a spare roll of batting that I'll use until I can get another batting cushion.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Upholstery foam is usually of the closed-cell type (all those air bubbles are individuals) whereas filter foam is open-celled (all the bubbles are connected to each other). Water can't run through the closed cells, so it will simply run off the foam and not be filtered. Also, any foam intended for use in pillows or furniture may be treated with a fire-retardent, which may be harmful to your fish. :dead:
John

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I would hate to have fire-retarded fish. Actually that is really good to know as I assume the foam was intended for pillows and therefore treated with fire-retardant.
I shall banish the foam! :yuck:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
For removing silt and fine particles I found that nothing works as well as the quilt batting. Pillow polyester came in a distant second for me. And the furnace filter material was good for large particles but didn't do much for silt.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
I use eggcrate foam. a matress pad. the trick is to,use them in a prefilter situation. that's before the pump. so the water is pulled thru. I do this on all 3 pumps on my basement pond.

Ask a Question