Pond adventure

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello from rainy Vancouver Island.
Not as much rain as we use to get.
We have had a pond just outside the front door for about 10 years and love it.
Its always a challenge, had some nice Koi and a dozen good size gold fish till the blue heron discovered us. One Koi, one Goldie and a few dozen little guys left.
Last year we had water so green it was like pea soup. Tried different chemicals and put in an aeration system but only the cold of winter killed the green soup. I'm hoping with some help from this forum that I can be ready for this season.
The older pond is about 3500 gallons and the three year old stream is about 500 gallons.
Pond.jpg
Stream.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group of pond lovers!

More plants would help fight the green water. Does the stream and pond connect at all? I sort of don't think so.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Thanks addy1. Correct they don't connect. My job had me away quite a bit so the ponds never got much love. I'm semi retired now and able to spend more time with them now. I have lots of questions about filters and pumps. I'm digging a new pond outside the fenced yard but it needs to be deeper to hopefully hit some water as it goes dry by the end of May. If I can get it to hold water year round then a bog is in my future.
Where is the best place to ask about filters?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Start a thread in construction area and ask all the questions you want, the intro thread is mainly just to say HI!
I only filter with a bog, so can't help with filters.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I'll get on that. When I get the outside "jurasic" garden pond going I will look forward to your Bog expertise. :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and wow what a great pond .Chemicals never work plants aeration and less feeding works best

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I do have to say I love the green on your roofs and that red door is just so pretty with the back drop you have .There is so much in your pics to look at and every time I look at them I see something new that I missed

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I see something brown sitting in the background in first pic .But it is hard to spot much to one side .I see most of the bigger stuff I see something black also

Reaction score
Country
Canada
This is my buddy Rex. He is the first of three that I have now. The other two are smaller Raptors about 6 feet tall. Rex is over 10 feet tall and over 20 feet long. Sure had some strange looks for the two days we were on the road with him.
REX loaded.jpg

My next pond will be a Jurassic theme with bamboo and other vegetation to look the part. A bit too cold here in the winter for some of the cooler Palms but I'll make do with what I can.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wow very cool those dino's and will love to see your Jurassic themed pond in your future!
Some people up the road from us used to have a couple huge life size rhino's under their trees but they are gone now. I had to do a double take the first time I saw them!

IMG_1303.JPG

Ask a Question