Pond advice for newbie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening,

We inherited a garden pond when we moved to our new home last year - the former occupier was to have it filled but didn't, something we were not too worried about at the time and it was 'suggested' perhaps I could make a feature of it one day......that day has now arrived - been forced upon me really! Seriously though I do like new challenges and a pond would really make our garden - the only stumbling block being I haven't got a clue!

Anyway, the pond is around 4m x 3m at its widest, and around 0.8m deep at deepest. It has nothing in it at all beyond stagnant water, green algae and when I test with a stick (all the gear....no idea) I would estimate there's around 10cm of 'sludge' on the bottom - there's no power to the pond and no filtration - although I believe there had been power and a pump present at one time. I have asked a few people locally about how best to proceed, and watched numerous Youtube videos but in truth I just became further confused.

As I'm starting from a position of NO knowledge, what I'd like advice on is:

Do I drain the pond, clean and refill? If the latter can I fill from our tap (we're not on a meter yet) - the pond is situated in a darkish corner so would not naturally fill with rain.

Or

Do I leave it in it's current natural state - that being the case how do I clean it.................relatively simply?

Forgive me for asking such basic questions, but I really do not have a clue and am anxious to set off on the correct path.

Any advice or guidance would be gratefully received, and if responding please bear in mind that you are responding to An Idiot Abroad.

Thanks in anticipation, Mark

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Read as much as you can on this forum. There's tons of information and the site is full of friendly knowledgeable members.

Normally it's not a good idea to empty and clean out an existing pond, but that depends on a few things. When you clean out an existing pond, you're upsetting the natural cycle that has been established. With a freshly started pond, it will take a few weeks or maybe a month to get that cycle going again. But If the pond is full of muck, decayed plants and is basically a stinky mess, then maybe that's the route to take. The other concern is that if there are fish in there, you might have to catch them and put them in a temporary holding container. If you go that route, pump the water out and scoop out the sludge but try not to kill all the bio film that is living on the liner. That bio film is good natural growth and helps with filtration and the overall health of the pond. So don't hit it with a power washer. You don't want it squeaky hospital clean. Just scoop out the junk and fill it back up as quick as you can.

Think about adding lots of plants. They feed on the excess nutrients and will help starve out the algae.

Then we're going to have to discuss your filter/pump setup. A lot of people here use a bog for filtration. Commercial filters are expensive, high maintenance and some of them quite frankly don't work very well.

So, again, research here on this forum to get an education. There's so much here and you can learn by other member's experiences.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Pictures tell the whole story a few close ups and a few of the entire area. then we can get in to whats what

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning poconojoe and BGBUDD,

Thanks for very helpful advice - I think, as suggested, I really need research this site properly and take from there. Once done I'll will post some photos and seek ongoing further advice. I won't be reinstalling the mains power supply when it comes to pumps and filtration and instead be looking at solar power, but that's for another time once the basics are in place.

Thanks again.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1587999107599.gif
@An Idiot Abroad

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i saw a easy pro today at the local koi store they has a lesson motor attached to a easy pro external pump . and i saw another with a baldor so they must be doing something right.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum of pond lovers!

Pictures help a lot! We will all be glad to help guide you on your adventure!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks all, Seems like a nice friendly forum - I'll be posting furiously no doubt once I have everything cleared, but not too clean!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon All,

As you will see I have drained the pond, and took 6 barrowloads of dross from the bottom (the pond was much deeper that I thought) - although, as suggested, I have left the liner relatively dirty - no fish or newts in the pond, but a few frogs which I managed to relocate to pastures new. It's an almighty mess at present but nothing that can't be overcome.

Having emptied the pond I now notice the liner seems quite brittle. I know the previous resident put the pond in more than 15 years ago, so am presuming that the liner's original - there are a couple on very minor tears above the water level which I have patched.

What I like views on is do you feel it would be best to put in a new liner, and if so would I have to go back to basics ripping the old one out, or can a new liner be just put on top?

All opinions gratefully rececived.

Thanks, Mark

Attachments

• Pond_Photo.jpg
    Pond_Photo.jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 114
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Nice pond and nice job cleaning it out. There are some nice plant shelves in there too.

If the liner is indeed brittle, this would be the time to replace it. You don't want to go through all the work of fixing it up and then discover you have a leak. Especially after you add fish and set it up all nice.

You can place the new liner over the old one after you have made several punctures in the old one. This way if any water gets trapped between them, it can seep out. I would suggest an EPDM 45mil liner. Stay far away from a PVC liner. It will become brittle within a few months...ask me how I know....

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
To prevent major headaches I would replace it and the old liner will be nice protection for the new one. You gonna put some goldfish in there? It looks like a nice size for goldfish and the Shubunkin variety are my favorites!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Joe, J.W, Thanks for the very helpful replies. I was hoping to avoid ripping the old one out and it seems the consensus so far is that I won't have to, which is a relief. I will avoid the PVC liner as suggested, and with regards to fish I have not yet decided, but it's something I'm seriously considering further down the line as I find watching them very relaxing - watch this space!

Thanks again, Mark

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Welcome, looks like you get to start a new pond without the hardship of digging one! If that liner is brittle, go for a new one. Readup on here the best way to protect it, and YouTube how to install it. Then, do your research on pumps, filters, and figure out what you want with your pond. I personally love water lillies, their scent is amazing, the flowers are gracefull, and the leaves can be pretty cool. Depending on where you are, you may want a few fish, which leaves lots of options. Tropical areas have more pretty options, cooler areas we are reduced to goldfish, koi, or native species.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks Jamie, I have lots to do, apart from the liner all the surround needs cutting back and levelling, as all the rocks previously around the edge were actually in the water - as it seems the previous owner had just balanced them (badly). I guess it's like all jobs one starts, scratch the surface at your peril. Yes water lillies are on my consideration list, but as mentioned in my inaugural post I really (no really! ) aint got a clue, so this is a real vogage of discovery. Anyway, onward and upward!

Thanks again, Mark

Ask a Question