Pond aeration question

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Sorry for so many posts but I trust this forum more than sales persons at pond supply stores. I have an over-sized pump for my pond of 540 gallons (1800 gph pump). I just installed a 3-way ball valve to release some of the water flow back into the pond. I think I have adequate aeration but feel that more is better. The release is within the pond and not a waterfall or fish spitter as I feel my pond is too small for that. My question is; should I add some kind of diffuser/aerator to the return hose that feeds back within the pond. I saw where there are aeration type devices sold for that purpose, such as aeration stones.

Any suggestions will be appreciated...............Ralph

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
dieselplower said:
With that much flow I dont think you need it at all but do what makes you happy.
I wasn't going to do anything but then a friend thought I should add an aerator to minimize the strength of the flow. My previous setup had a venturi which did the same and I didn't have an aerator attached so I am going to just leave things as they are.

Thank you.................Ralph

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
What I don't like about that is you have all your eggs in one basket. If the pump stops you have no water movement at all.

Far better to use a belt and suspenders. Just my 2 cents.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Yep, redundancy is a good thing to have.

My little pond is only 435 gallons and am recirculating 4,300gph in it plus air diffusor tubing. Got a stream and waterfall on it so I don't think 540 gallon pond is too small for these; it could be just something simple. It all depends on how much you want to spend on it.

Problem with small ponds is that they are easier to overstock. If you have an above average fish stocking for the pond, then the more circulation the better so to help quickly release the dissolved gases created by the fish and algaes.

I got such a high flow rate and air diffusors on my pond so to help keep it clean. You want to try your best to direct the flow to your suction inlet so the suspended particles and debris go into your particulate mechanical filtration. To help understand what I am talking about, then read understanding water currents to obtain a self cleaning pond. In this thread, the system is a gravity fed driven system, but the system does not have to gravity since it depends on the equipment you want to use.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Hello Charles and thanks for you input. Your pump is sure moving a lot of water evidently resulting in more efficient cleaning. I read your very detailed posts, very interesting, thanks for the link. There is a lot of information to digest but it sure makes sense. I will check more into diffusers/aerators online and at my local store to see what would meet my needs. I have noticed that the fish really enjoy the current caused by the waterfall.

Thanks again............Ralph

crsublette said:
Yep, redundancy is a good thing to have.

My little pond is only 435 gallons and am recirculating 4,300gph in it plus air diffusor tubing. Got a stream and waterfall on it so I don't think 540 gallon pond is too small for these; it could be just something simple. It all depends on how much you want to spend on it.

Problem with small ponds is that they are easier to overstock. If you have an above average fish stocking for the pond, then the more circulation the better so to help quickly release the dissolved gases created by the fish and algaes.

I got such a high flow rate and air diffusors on my pond so to help keep it clean. You want to try your best to direct the flow to your suction inlet so the suspended particles and debris go into your particulate mechanical filtration. To help understand what I am talking about, then read understanding water currents to obtain a self cleaning pond. In this thread, the system is a gravity fed driven system, but the system does not have to gravity since it depends on the equipment you want to use.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Well, the total flow is actually provided by a combination of 3 seperate pumps. To understand a bit further my setup, then read mechanical filtration choices discussion.

And ya know, for such a small pond, you could just start with a quite strong aquarium air stone, from a big pet chain store. It might just do enough to stir up the pond, but I think more is always better; I don't think you can have overkill with this stuff. If you want a good air diffusor pump, then check out the Medo line of aeration pumps; these are piston driven so there are no replaceable parts like there is for the common aeration pump that uses a diaphragm.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
crsublette said:
Well, the total flow is actually provided by a combination of 3 seperate pumps. To understand a bit further my setup, then read mechanical filtration choices discussion.

And ya know, for such a small pond, you could just start with a quite strong aquarium air stone, from a big pet chain store. It might just do enough to stir up the pond, but I think more is always better; I don't think you can have overkill with this stuff. If you want a good air diffusor pump, then check out the Medo line of aeration pumps; these are piston driven so there are no replaceable parts like there is for the common aeration pump that uses a diaphragm.
Thanks again for all that information. Until I isolate my slow leak I will be holding off on adding new hardware, the diffuser is inexpensive. I may have to drain the pond and have it resealed however; I may also end up filling it in should the cost become prohibitive. Water conservation is becoming more and more critical here in California due to very low rainfall the past 2 years so fixing the leak is my #1 priority.

Thanks again............Ralph

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I release my extra water through a ball valve into the pond and it really has helped keep my water cleaner

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Hi Sissy,

Thanks for your input. I just installed a 3 ball valve that does the same thing. What I am going to add, after reading other posts, is some sort of aeration device such as a stone to generate additional aeration.

Regards...........Ralph

sissy said:
I release my extra water through a ball valve into the pond and it really has helped keep my water cleaner

Ask a Question