Pond Aeration

Reaction score
Hi all.

Got the pond going well and spring has sprung :). My question has to do with water aeration. I read alot about waterfalls and such to add oxygen to the water. I have my pump sitting in the bottom of the pond (circular 300 galls) which feeds out to a fishmate 1000 pressurized filter w/ UV. The water exits the filter and I then have it snake around the outside edge of the pond and discharge back into the water over some rocks. The thing is, I tend to have the water shoot out of the hose and directly into the pondwater. To me it seems that this achieves the max aeration, as I see the water plunge into the pond and cause quite a bit of bubbles etc, as the water actually climbs a bit through the hose, over the rocks and then falls into the water from a greater height. My only question is, IS it better to have the water cascade over rocks into water? Mine shoots directly from the hose into the pond, which to me seems more effective. The previous owner had the waterfall effect but it doesnt seem to really agitate the water. And does anyone bother to use additional aeration? I would like more of a current in my for circulation. Any replies are appreciated.:coolgleema:

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i use a aerator myself,along with the waterfall, i use an optima pump and 2 5" volcano airstones you cant have too much oxygen. if you want water movement and air put in it , build a venturi and use a second pump to circulate your pond at the bottom.

Ask a Question