Pond aerators pros....and cons?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I hope this isnt a dumb question. I understand the purpose of pond aerators such as providing oxygen, keeping the wat we r from freezing over and others. But are there any cons to having a bubbler constantly on? Especially when your located in sunny Southern California. Ok, n a nutshell, can keeping a couple of disk bubblers always on in a small backyard pond, cause an algae bloom?

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I would not think it would cause an issue with algae. Perhaps coincidence. How big is the pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
I hope this isnt a dumb question. I understand the purpose of pond aerators such as providing oxygen, keeping the wat we r from freezing over and others. But are there any cons to having a bubbler constantly on? Especially when your located in sunny Southern California. Ok, n a nutshell, can keeping a couple of disk bubblers always on in a small backyard pond, cause an algae bloom?
I'm in sunny Florida and have 2 small air stones going and I don't see an increase in algae. If you're seeing something, I'd attribute it more to being June: more sun, longer days, and hotter.
(no "dumb" in questions on this forum.)

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
No, adding aerators won’t cause an algae bloom, unless they are kicking up a bunch of silt and muck from the pond bottom, which is making nutrients available. Excess nutrients are the cause of algae blooms.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
In California unless your way up in the mountains I don't see a reason to shut down the pond. Keep the pumps running all year

Ask a Question