Pond algae on bottom.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi there,
I've installed and maintained several ponds/water features, over the years. Presently, I'm dealing with a pond that has a clarity issue. I can handle that. My question is the algae on the gravel at the bottom of the pond seems to be bothering the owner. A vacuum won't work, without sucking up the gravel. Any other suggestions as to how to rid the pond of this, short of draining and cleaning?

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
What kind of algae are you dealing with? Different ways to cure of different algaes...

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hi there,
I've installed and maintained several ponds/water features, over the years. Presently, I'm dealing with a pond that has a clarity issue. I can handle that. My question is the algae on the gravel at the bottom of the pond seems to be bothering the owner. A vacuum won't work, without sucking up the gravel. Any other suggestions as to how to rid the pond of this, short of draining and cleaning?

What type of fish does this customer have? Algae growing on a gravel substrate is not usually an issue if Koi populate the pond. If only Goldfish are present, then there is not much that can be done. Using an algicide or cleaning the pond are only temporary fixes as this algae (periphyton) growth will return. It is a naturally occurring part of an aquatic ecosystem. This is typically a problem that contractors encounter. The customer believes that they can have a Decorative Water Feature with fish. When you add fish, it truly becomes a pond and it includes all of the trappings that are associated with a pond , including algae the base of the food chain.

Reaction score
Country
United States
What type of fish does this customer have? Algae growing on a gravel substrate is not usually an issue if Koi populate the pond. If only Goldfish are present, then there is not much that can be done. Using an algicide or cleaning the pond are only temporary fixes as this algae (periphyton) growth will return. It is a naturally occurring part of an aquatic ecosystem. This is typically a problem that contractors encounter. The customer believes that they can have a Decorative Water Feature with fish. When you add fish, it truly becomes a pond and it includes all of the trappings that are associated with a pond , including algae the base of the food chain.
He has no fish. He wants no fish. He does want clarity and to remove the algae from the bottom. I could probably lightly disturb the gravel and algae on the bottom, encouraging the skimmer to pick it up. I'm thinking maybe use Oxy-lift prior.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I don't see any string algae. It seems to be clinging to the gravel and liner and clouding the water.
Clouding the water and mounding could just be good ol' cyanobacteria:
upload_2017-7-3_12-48-16.jpeg

That and a mix of some other algaes....
Not many ways to remove them, algae feeds on light, and excess organic matter. I would personally just check and make sure there isn't anything mounding up in the pond (leaves, clutter, etc) and just keep it "clean" in general other than the algae. Only thing I can think of. You could also try a UV but, mixed results may occur.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Clouding the water and mounding could just be good ol' cyanobacteria:
View attachment 101664

That and a mix of some other algaes....
Not many ways to remove them, algae feeds on light, and excess organic matter. I would personally just check and make sure there isn't anything mounding up in the pond (leaves, clutter, etc) and just keep it "clean" in general other than the algae. Only thing I can think of. You could also try a UV but, mixed results may occur.
I tend to agree. I'm inclined to clear up the water and see if that doesn't do it for him.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Good question, Is there plants? plants act as a natural filtration system for the water. And offer many benefits other than looks, depending on what types of plants weather emersed, submersed. Aquatic, or fully aquatic. They can totally change the act and look of a pond and how it functions.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I agree. Since this is strictly a decorative feature, starting a routine of applying pool chlorine tablets. This will control any algae growth. If turbidity still exists then treatment(s) with gypsum will correct that.

Ask a Question