Pond and dirt

Reaction score
I have a new pond - about 10,000 gallons with a running stream to act as a bio-filter. The stream has pea gravel and larger rocks for the water to run through and over.

The pond water has a lot of fine silt/clay in the water from the house construction site. Heavy rains ran into the stream with a ton of fine silts. The water is a light brown. I fixed that problem, but now the water is quite dirty. As the filter runs, I do notice that some of the fine brown suspension is getting filtered out - the water is clearer, but wonder if I need to do something more to get the water clear so I can see the bottom and see my fish. The stream has been running steady now for about a week.
I do have a pond filter connected, but it clogs in a few hours and is not practical until I can get the majority of the suspended load out of the water.

Any suggestions?

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
That does sound like a problem,,,,if you have a water fall,,,get 3$ woth of pillow stuffing at walmart , put it in a laundry basket, under the fall..set the basket up on 5 gal buckets, or what ever it takes to get the basket a few inch out of the water.. it will clear it up

Reaction score
If you have a skimmer, you can put a layer of the quilt batting on top of the skimmer pad to catch the finer particles. Wash it out daily until pond clears.

Ask a Question