Pond and fish removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have inherited an old raised garden pond - concrete built that is about 6000 gallons in total with approx 45 / 50 fish or varying descriptions.

I wouldn't like any harm to come to the fish but my older age, being away for long periods and two leaks from the pond have led me to the conclusion that I should try to get the fish removed with a view to filling in the pond.

Most people I have spoken to reply with 'I'd like them but they might be diseased'. There is no sign of disease that I can see and the fish appear healthy - I've lost 2 only, over the last 3 winters for example.

Do any forum members know the best way to do this job? I live in Lincolnshire (UK) and I'm getting a bit desperate to be honest.

Thank you all - Anthony

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Anthony. Have you got any of the big garden centres with water gardening supplies near you? I've just googled 'water garden centres Lincolnshire' and several big names popped up. Maybe contact them and see if they would be willing to take your fish? 'Gumtree' is a free advertising site but I'm not certain if they accept livestock ads. Just a couple of ideas. I hope you can get things sorted.
Do you know what types of fish you have? Would you be able to add some pics for us to try and identify them for you if you're not sure of their varieties? People may want to know exactly what you have before deciding :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for this reply I will try the garden centre option. I have the majority of Golden Orfe with other fish that look like gold fish rteally but they are probably Golden Orfe I've been told. My major concern is that amongst all these are 2 lovely large Koi (Ghost I think) and I'm desperate to re-home these guys - free to a good home as they say. Ill upload pics if i can o_O

Attachments

• IMG_0875.JPG
    IMG_0875.JPG
    258.2 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_0876.JPG
    IMG_0876.JPG
    216.2 KB · Views: 190

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You can put an ad up that says you take it all apart the fish and other stuff is all yours .You may have to fill in the mess after ,but that is easier if some one takes every thing .Pet stores sometimes know people also

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_1285.JPG
IMG_2264.JPG
OK, the pics came through fine, but unfortunately they're not clear/detailed enough to get a good view. There 'appears' at least to be some goldfish, maybe Koi, but I couldn't spot any ghost Koi or ID golden orfe either for certain. It is difficult to get gold clear pics of fish, just tried myself, you think you're doing a good job, but come to view them and things ain't that good really!! Plus I'm shooting pics through a net and dodging yet another cloudburst!

Anyway, back to fish ID. Koi of any kind will have a single barbel/short whisker at each corner of the mouth. Ghost Koi are bronze or silver, mine are bronze. Other Koi can be any colour combo or self coloured, and each type has a specific Japanese name by the way! They're generally slower swimming than goldies and orfe and have heavier chunky bodies often with more rounded fins. Koi are generally bottom feeders that forage amongst plants and vegetation and in detritus at the bottom of a pond. They do however take floating food and can be tamed, mine will take it from my hand.

Golden orfe are salmon coloured, not as dark orange or as bright as goldies, and not as yellow as 'yellow goldfish' either. Their bodies are longer more like a torpedo and they're very fast movers and jumpers! They're surface feeders mainly

Goldfish can vary tremendously, gold, deep red, with or without black areas or even white. They feed at all levels.

Took a video for you, but it's too large to post it says, and now it's raining, so here's a couple of pics which 'may' help, the majority of the dozen or so I've just snapped are dire! The first pic is an old one but shows the two ghosts, bronze in colour, best I could locate. Second pic shows three golden orfe, they're the longest fish shown plus two slightly smaller blue orfe. Rest are 2yellow and 6goldfish.

Let us know how you go on will the garden centre:) if you want to add more pics I'll look out for them and see what I can see!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
What a shame you can't get your pond waterproof, it's a good size and a nice feature. Is that a liner I can see on the far retaining wall? Once up and running, ponds can look after themselves for the most part. Has it got a working filter and pump etc? Fish are so relaxing to sit and watch..........

Ask a Question