pond and plants over winter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Lots of good info on this site...found a few posts similar to what I'm about to ask but figure I would ask specifics to my situation...throw out your thoughts....

50 gallon preformed 18 inch max depth... blue juncus... pickerl weed...some unknown hardy grass ( in photo by fishing sign)... water hythcian...about 9 little mollies and gold fish.

Preformed water cascade ... no plants.

20 gallon veggie filter ..has about 2 inches of water on top of pea gravel,lava rock and scrubbies... top has wild mint ... same hardy grass as in photo and an annual African mallow...

Central indiana located. Plants have been established about 2 months pond...3 weeks in veggie filter. All plants were limited selections at end of season so got at discount but would like to save.

Here are my wintering thoughts.... tell me if I'm wrong or if there are preferred options...

going to pull pump as late as possible ...drain and flush burried corrugated tubing that runs from veggie filter to pond. Store pump in heated garage stored in bucket with water just over pump.

Pull plants from veggie filter...mallow to compost bin...grass and mint try to save. Explanation how below with other plants. Drain veggie filter. Leave out outside uncovered. clean change rock and scrubbers in spring.

Cascade waterfall leave as is...little water will freeze but will have room to expand so no damage.

Pond leave filled ...take fish inside or find a home for them. Water hythcian to compost bin.

2 options on other plants..

1. Drop plants in baskets in the deepest part of pond (18 inches). If I Do this do I trim down to crown of plants? If it freezes solid will plants survive?

2. Take up plants store in open tote with wet gravel in back of 2nd garage. It gets a max cold around 30...no feeding and lighting would be the biggest pain here...guessing I would want to get them some artificial light to remain some what healthy. So would need to set up some lights on a timer.

Question...if I take plants in...guessing best to drain the entire pond???...if I leave plants in should I cover??? .if so guessing a small structure with some light transparent materials. Do I need to worry about vents for plants only???

Many thanks in advance....Casey

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Sorry forgot to add pics

Attachments

• 20141002_133040.jpg
    20141002_133040.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 333
  • 20141002_132942.jpg
    20141002_132942.jpg
    281.8 KB · Views: 321
  • 20141002_133114-2.jpg
    20141002_133114-2.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 323
  • 20141002_132955.jpg
    20141002_132955.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 292

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
50 gallon preformed 18 inch max depth... blue juncus... pickerl weed...some unknown hardy grass ( in photo by fishing sign)... water hythcian...about 9 little mollies and gold fish.

Preformed water cascade ... no plants.

20 gallon veggie filter ..has about 2 inches of water on top of pea gravel,lava rock and scrubbies... top has wild mint ... same hardy grass as in photo and an annual African mallow...

Most likely the pickerel weed, the hardy grass, mint will do fine in the pond and veggie filter (with water left in), mine freeze up and always come back. The fish, take in or give away. The other plant no clue ie. the blue juncus.

Ask a Question