Pond base protection

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'v nearly finished a semi inground pond, concrete slab base and rendered brick sides, 7times coated/sealed with Bondall "pond seal" Uranthane paint. (to really make sure it's sealed good, no pin holes)
What I'm wondering is since this is a painted sealer, would it be advisabe to lay a sheet of plastic liner on the base of the pond so in the future with cleaning etc (ie scooping debris) there is no chance of scratching the sealer etc.
Would it float to the top if not weighed down?
Would there be any adverse effects?

Thanks

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What do they recommend with the bondall? Is it susceptible to scratching?

The problem i see with a sheet of liner, is water and yuck being trapped under it, and it might float up. Without it being attached to the bottom it most likely will move around and trap debris below it. I have used pieces of my liner in the pond and it does float up if not held down.
The other thing you could do is maybe "glue" the liner down.

Reaction score
Bondall doesn't recommend anything (like any company, they say there product is best and doesn't need anything else)
The amount of coats iv put on it I'm not overly worried about scratching, I'm just thinking of in a years time when theres a lot of crap on the bottom it might be easier scooping it up off plastic as opposed to the painted surface, but I'm thinking your right about the yucky stuff getting under it (as well as the smaller fish potentially getting trapped) unless it's wieghed down by a line of small rocks along the edge.

Hmm thinking to do, thank you!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
you are welcome! If your painted surface is somewhat smooth you will most likely be able to scoop without a problem. Just use a plastic type net/scoop to keep from tearing into the painted surface.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
If this paint is an epoxy base, then you should not have top worry about scratching it off as long as your surface preparation was done right.

Ask a Question