JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My pond breather isn't working anymore. Well, it works, but it immediately trips the GFCI. I'm not really sure what to do. I probably should've tested it earlier in the season to give myself more time to figure out what to do, but I've only ever had a breather so I have zero experience with anything else. I really can't believe there's nothing similar on the market.

Any suggestions on how to fix it or any alternatives to keep my pond healthy over winter would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Oh darn ! I had one used PB and one brand new in a box, but gave them to the man who took our koi, otherwise I'd send them to you.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Could the GFCI be bad? I had one do that in the garage and it turned out the GFCI was just worn out.

No, I run my pond pump on it and have no issues. I also tried plugging the breather into another one with the same result.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Rats! I would take it to a certified electrician and see if it can be repaired. Given your location that option might be cheaper in the long run than running a pond heater.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My pond breather isn't working anymore. Well, it works, but it immediately trips the GFCI. I'm not really sure what to do. I probably should've tested it earlier in the season to give myself more time to figure out what to do, but I've only ever had a breather so I have zero experience with anything else. I really can't believe there's nothing similar on the market.

Any suggestions on how to fix it or any alternatives to keep my pond healthy over winter would be greatly appreciated
It sounds like you have a leak in the insulation of the wire. It trips the GFI. Or a leak in the plug in cord.
The black coating around the wires does not look that tough.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Given your location that option might be cheaper in the long run than running a pond heater.

The biggest issue I had with a heater/de-icer is that it warmed the water so much that frogs were sitting out in the middle of winter. I tried it the first winter I had the pond and realized it was going to be a problem. The pond breather solved that issue and had been fantastic up until now. It's a shame they're not made anymore. ☹️

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Do some testing. Container of water, safely put just the cord in the water see if it trips. If not do the same with the warm up wires, put it upside down in the water, plug in see if it pops , if so start looking for a insulation tear.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
If you are not able to get it working or find a used one somewhere, I'd consider suspending an airstone at the same depth the PB was at. I would not use a powerful ayirstone, just one that would allow O2 to travel the same depth of water to the surface as the PB did.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I find it interesting that no company has entered the market since the discontinuance (unavailability) of the 8pb. Perhaps you can engineer a DIY?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I guess you'll have to buy a deicer. Get the lowest wattage you can find.

Or....

How cold does it get where you are?

You can put a small submersible pump maybe 500-550 gph in a bucket with a piece of PVC screwed to it's outlet. Tie the PVC to the upright handle of the bucket for support. Sit the bucket on the bottom of your pond. Have the PVC end just below the surface of the water. This will break the surface with a fountain that shoots well above the water. It will keep an opening in the ice. However, if you get sub-zero weather for weeks, an ice dome might form over the fountain. That's why I ask how cold it gets where you are.

The pump will use electricity, but not as much as a deicer.

You can cover the pump with lava rocks turning it into a filter.

I have them all! The bucket setup, two air stones and a deicer. Call me paranoid!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
So, I've been thinking about my next step. I'll probably do some testing with the breather, but assuming I can't fix it, I might get air stones and a de-icer, and only use the de-icer when absolutely necessary.

Being that it gets really cold here, I don't think I want to try the PVC bucket idea.

I'm going to continue thinking about my options but I definitely don't have much longer to do so. In fact,I may already be too late. I see teens in the forecast ☹️

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've been meaning to follow up on this and say that I looked at my breather and found the problem. A mouse chewed the wire. I had it sitting on my basement floor for a few days last year before putting it away and that's when it must've happened. I've had some mouse issues over the last couple years.

Ask a Question