Pond breather question

Reaction score
I just bought a pond breather in hopes that it would be easier than trying to keep a hole open by running water though a pump. I bought one through Fosters and Smith, put it together and installed it in the pond. I'm just wondering if anyone else in the forum has one, because even though its plugged in, pump is running and the heater lines are warm, I don't see any water moving in the chamber. No help from F&S. Just wondering how to tell if its actually working?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Do you see a trickle of water inside the clear center tube? It's a small amount, so look closely.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Even though I have a Pondbreather, I'm not exactly sure - ha ha ! I just notice a small movement of water, usually I see it against the clear acrylic.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
No, it should be contained to the inside of the tube, but above the ice. If you see water moving there, its working fine.

Reaction score
Well, I took a look and didn't see any water moving down the tube. So I pulled it out of the pond and put it in a bucket of water in the kitchen. It took about 15 minutes for the water level to reach to the top of the float, and then another 10 minutes to go up the tube another inch or two and then it stopped, the pump was running steadily, I think its time to return it....

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well, I took a look and didn't see any water moving down the tube. So I pulled it out of the pond and put it in a bucket of water in the kitchen. It took about 15 minutes for the water level to reach to the top of the float, and then another 10 minutes to go up the tube another inch or two and then it stopped, the pump was running steadily, I think its time to return it....
Make sure the tube is attached to the pump ie pushed in, mine has come loose as I move it in and out of the pond.

They will send you another one, I have used two for the past 4 years, they work great keeping air exchange in the pond going. Don't give up on it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
what addy said; I didn't realize my tube had come loose either and put my pond breather in this fall and didn't notice it 'wasn't working' for three days. It's a small aquarium-like pump and without any resistance on the end of the tube, you should get a steady stream. If you still have it, you could take apart the little pump (it's easy and you should learn just so you can clean it periodically) and make sure the impeller is sitting flush and/or isn't jamming against something.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I just bought a pond breather in hopes that it would be easier than trying to keep a hole open by running water though a pump. I bought one through Fosters and Smith, put it together and installed it in the pond. I'm just wondering if anyone else in the forum has one, because even though its plugged in, pump is running and the heater lines are warm, I don't see any water moving in the chamber. No help from F&S. Just wondering how to tell if its actually working?

I was just about to order one from them as well
did you get this one? btw, $25 gift cert going on now
p-32677-42510-60529_001-pond.jpg

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
The weight of the pump pulled my tubing off last winter. Here is a picture that Mitch provided that shows where the water should come from.
winter - pond breather (3).jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Both of mine are running, even though no ice right now, we have cold coming again. So I just leave them running this time of year.

$25 off is good, I paid 49 for mine years ago.

Ask a Question