Pond breather

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
Still cold here at -16c at night and -4 c during the day.
Have 2 pond breathers in case 1 failed while away. Both are still working but had to unclog them as they are growing algae and restricting the water return
1 was sometimes overflowing.
Anyone else had this issue?
Think next year I might place a black tube around them.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
The first winter I had a lot of algae growing on the plastic cage around the pump, almost to where it was restricting water flow. Once I started to position the pump away from the side of the pond, much less algae gets on the cage. I have sloping sides to my pond, so I use a stick to hold the pond breather in the middle.
2019-3-27 aerial.JPG

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The first winter I had a lot of algae growing on the plastic cage around the pump, almost to where it was restricting water flow. Once I started to position the pump away from the side of the pond, much less algae gets on the cage. I have sloping sides to my pond, so I use a stick to hold the pond breather in the middle.View attachment 126820
I do the same. Keep the pump cage mid water column and it stays algae free.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
I have mine more to 1 side because the pond is on a hillside so I was worried about freezing in from the sides above grade. Wish it would warm up soon so I can see how my fish winterd. I did see a couple of goldfish through the ice but could not see the Koi, probably hideing under the large rock. Was -16c or 3.2 f last night

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Canada
Still cold here at -16c at night and -4 c during the day.
Have 2 pond breathers in case 1 failed while away. Both are still working but had to unclog them as they are growing algae and restricting the water return
1 was sometimes overflowing.
Anyone else had this issue?
Think next year I might place a black tube around them.

A big hello to Ronfire from us up here in Northern Alberta. I know your pain my friend, still very cold here too... right now -25 c at night and -15 c during the day.Actually was about 10 degrees colder 3 days ago.. but forecast looks like its going to start warming up... I can’t actually say I have had your problems here because I shut the pond down for the winter, its just too stressful to try to keep it going... ya, too cold.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The first winter I had a lot of algae growing on the plastic cage around the pump, almost to where it was restricting water flow. Once I started to position the pump away from the side of the pond, much less algae gets on the cage. I have sloping sides to my pond, so I use a stick to hold the pond breather in the middle.View attachment 126820

I do the same. I put mine in the deepest part of my pond, instead of a stick, I tie a string around it to hold it away from the sides. There's still algae that gets in it. I see it in the clear part, but it's never been enough to cause an issue.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I also do the string thing. I have a string attached to two opposite sides which keeps it in the middle of the pond. I do this for whatever I use. Whether it be a deicer or a pond breather.
I broke my pond breather last Spring. While pulling it out, it somehow cracked the big tube. I tried gluing it, but the epoxy didn't hold so I went back to using the deicer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
Hi Leonard. Alberta was cold this year, at one point it was -52c. Friend of mine had to go home from Arizona with her horses December or January (cant remember when) . She ended up home and it was the coldest place on earth at that time. Her winter diesel fuel with additives gelled so she had no vehicle .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
And we complain when we get to 10f = -12c
Hit 73 yesterday, diving back into the 50's tomorrow

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
Still -6c at night but +10c during the day. I managed to gently lift out a 1 1/2" thick cracked piece of ice to see into lower pond. I did see a couple of the smaller Koi and some goldfish. The water is very green so I could not see much. The mid bog is almost thawed out but the top pond that partly above ground still has 12" of ice. There where no fish in that pond as I moved them all to the lower one. I covered it with plywood and hay to protect the lillys from freezing. The water in that pond smells bad as the hay went mouldy from the rain and snow .Will change out the water in that pond before running into the connecting bog and pond. As soon as the nights stop freezing I will start up the mid bog and S&G filter. Might be best to run it slow at first and draw mostly from the skimmer so I dont shock the fish.

Ask a Question