Pond breather

Reaction score
Country
United States
What are you folks using to keep your koi safe under the ice in wintertime? I live in MA and my pond freezes pretty well each winter, with ice probably 6" thick at times. I've seen ads for 1500 watt devices that keep a hole in the ice, to allow the bad gases to get out and oxygen get in. That seems like a lot of energy to use. I'm not sure that method is any better than this breather I've been using, which freezes into the ice, and has a tiny pump that hangs down near the bottom, and pumps a small trickle of water up inside the top dome, where the bad gas gets out, and I assume oxygenated water falls back down into the pond. I assume that the tiny pump uses hardly any energy, compared to the 1500 watt heater device. I've used mine for 7 seasons, and had to epoxy it a couple of times when I noticed it starting to come apart in Spring. I'm probably going to buy a new one, since it's now old, and the worst thing would be if it died in midwinter, when it would be difficult to de-install and pop in a new one. Haven't lost a koi yet when using this device.

Pond Breather.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Lots of people here use these and love them. @addy1 uses and recommends them. She'll pop in here and tell you more.

We keep our pond running all winter which eliminates the need for keeping a hole in the ice. We have used a de-icer now and again, but I've never been a big fan. The one we have is too tippy and requires propping up to keep it from rolling on it's side.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Pond breather uses 40 watts. Have used them for years in my ponds and haven't lost any koi over winter. I have 1500w heaters but those will jump your electric bill up big time if used constantly.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I've used a Pondbreather for years too. I also cover the pond with a pool solar cover ad suspend air stones about 10 aches into the water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'll promote pond breathers, too; used one for 5 of my 10 years after stating with only an aerator and one winter, having the line freeze up. Went to a 'pond tent' -- ag plastic sheeting over a frame because I wanted less ice and quicker thawing (+ found out it helped a lot with winter evaporation) for the last 3 years. This allowed me to keep the wfall going and constant circulation.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I use only pond breathers during the winter. Have not had any fish loss since doing that.
I do not have koi.

I do shut everything down, actually did the shut down yesterday. Also have a external pump. With the cold dry air and warmish water I was losing a lot of water every day, happens every winter. The bog surface is large it cools the pond water and helps with the water loss.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@addy1 makes a very important point - what you need to do during winter will depend a great deal on the what kind of fish you have in your pond and how many you have. Goldfish will survive most anything. Big koi are going to need a lot more thought and planning, in my experience.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I also use a Pond Breather. Absolutely love it. Still surprised how much higher the price tag is on them now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I was lucky; when Dr Foster went out of business, I snagged 2 for like $20 each. Still have them new in the box!

Ask a Question