Pond building in December, why not?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
not building per say, but design
starting early so when the spring thaw is here, I'll be ready

What do I need to consider when designing a new pond?
Here's a few details and restrictions I have.

- Northern NJ, 6b climate
- yes, there is a budget, but to be determined cause I have no idea what this will cost.
- max 10 goldfish and small koi (not sure what koi variety yet)
- would like fish to winterize outside in cold months
- location of the pond will be off a section of the deck which is about 18" high
- the backyard slopes towards the house and a few times a year, heavy rains pour across the property (concerned for fish being washed away
- I don't have a fence and the town does have an ordinance on pond size
- We have herons, hawks, foxes, and other predatory animals
- Ground is very rocky underneath the 4" of topsoil, plan to hand dig so it will take a good effort.
- I would like to have a waterfall.
- not initially planning for water plants unless highly suggested

I've got a few months to plan and think this through, so all thoughtful comments are greatly appreciated.
Looking forward to this project.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Koi need a lot of water and don't stay small. What is the town ordinance on pond size?

You need to make sure you have a berm around the pond to direct the heavy rain falls around it.
3 foot deep will handle the cold, we are 6b also.

Herons, be ready to have a net or some other deterrent over the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Koi need a lot of water and don't stay small. What is the town ordinance on pond size?

You need to make sure you have a berm around the pond to direct the heavy rain falls around it.
3 foot deep will handle the cold, we are 6b also.

Herons, be ready to have a net or some other deterrent over the pond.

not sure of the restrictions, and a bit reluctant to ask the town, as I'm trying to keep it reasonable and under the radar
My initial thoughts were 1000 gallons, but considering 1500 (3 feet deep) Ironically the pond from which the fish are coming from, which had been operating successfully for 5 years, was only 600 gallons.

Is it okay to have the pond 1 foot above ground and 3 feet below? I'm hoping that will work like the berm you have mentioned.

I plan to make one of those pond net domed canopies, so the pond can't be too big, think about 8' x 6'
Is there a shape of pond to consider? round vs oval vs rectangle, etc
What about profile, should one end be deeper? if yes, gradually or a drop off? should the sides be sloped or just straight down

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Shape up to you.
Mine has part straight sides part sloped.

This pond slopes from shallow to deep, around a foot to around 5 feet. My last pond was all one depth. Again up to you. It is hard to get out of them unless you leave steps or a slope.

Part above ground part below works.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Formal or informal (mimicking a natural look)? Care to do a drawing of the "plat" of the back of the house where this will go?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
goldfish breed like heck and koi may get to big for that sized pond .Mine are over 2 feet long .I really enjoy my fat fantails the most .I hand dug my pond started with just over 1000 and had enough liner so expanded to 1500 gallons .of course that was after the builder dropped a 2x4 down into the middle of the first liner .Then dog fell in and went bigger and then moles chewed liner and went bigger and then again dog fell in and another liner down .I know in Edison we had to fence anything over 2 feet deep ,but I got away with that because it was considered a fountain .It was a big fountain .You could always do like mine half below ground and half above ground
100_9495.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
If I was rebuilding, I'd do part above and part below ground. It makes for a nice ledge to sit on and allows you to net it easily, or cover it in the winter, if desired.

I'd do one depth, in a rectangle. Addy is correct, they're hard to get out of when one depth, so build some steps, which could also be used for plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Formal or informal (mimicking a natural look)? Care to do a drawing of the "plat" of the back of the house where this will go?
I'll work out some hand drawings later and post up

goldfish breed like heck and koi may get to big for that sized pond .Mine are over 2 feet long .I really enjoy my fat fantails the most .I hand dug my pond started with just over 1000 and had enough liner so expanded to 1500 gallons .of course that was after the builder dropped a 2x4 down into the middle of the first liner .Then dog fell in and went bigger and then moles chewed liner and went bigger and then again dog fell in and another liner down .I know in Edison we had to fence anything over 2 feet deep ,but I got away with that because it was considered a fountain .It was a big fountain .You could always do like mine half below ground and half above ground View attachment 96531
I used a wire mesh used for masonry in my garden to stop burrowing pests, could that also be placed under the underlayment to stop the moles?

If I was rebuilding, I'd do part above and part below ground. It makes for a nice ledge to sit on and allows you to net it easily, or cover it in the winter, if desired.

I'd do one depth, in a rectangle. Addy is correct, they're hard to get out of when one depth, so build some steps, which could also be used for plants.
I'm considering an egg shape with the narrower end deeper to maximize the use of the liner regardless of depth. I like the ledge seating idea, 18" above seems like a comfortable height which also translates to much less digging. Just need to find the right masonry blocks.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I like my rectangle no need of a skimmer and 2 filters one on each end really makes the pond water cleaner .I love sitting on the bridge and it sure makes it easier to clean and space for my lily pond also
all around 7-15 017.JPG
all around 7-15 077.JPG
100_9459.JPG

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I just used concrete block inside area and packed it with clay soil and some rebar and then on both ends and one side the outside wall is retaining wall block .3 rows of block and then 2 rows on top of that of 4 inch thick block set flat.I put down lots of milky spore to kill the grubs and wire will rust and not sure the plastic stuff will hold up .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
If flash floods are a hazard, some dense growing plants could occupy the outlet so water can run through and fish have an obstacle when there is a current

Reaction score
Plants are something you will want. Without them you really don't have much to look at and besides they are beneficial to the pond. As far as the design look at ideas on the web and then simply lay out a hose to see what size looks good. Wait until you have the hole dug to get the liner. Don't go overboard on the number of fish. The more you have the more problems you can have. The landscaping around the pond can make the difference between a really nice looking pond and a hole in the ground filled with water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
This is the concept I'm working off of, but the pond will likely be oval and the waterfall and coming off a deck
Not going with the brick masonry sides due to cost but open to suggestions.

thoughts on location of waterfall and filter? This will be completely DIY, I'm relatively handy, but far from pro skills.
64-700x525.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
but if waterfall is coming off the deck will that block your view and plus looking out at the waterfall coming down is so much nicer

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
here's two options I'm laying out for pond locations

first plan obscures the waterfall view from the top deck, but visible from the lower deck which will be built along with the pond. This area gets between 6-7 hours sun.

second plan allows view from both decks but much more shade, about 3-4 hrs sun. I don't want the waterfall directly facing the house in either location.

WP_20161222_15_01_54_Pro.jpg

WP_20161222_15_02_15_Pro.jpg

Ask a Question