Pond building regulations uk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am looking to build a large Koi pond myself. I know there is no specific planning law related to ponds but know there are building regulations, the problem is a cannot find them anywhere. The proposed pond will be approximately 5 meters from my home but the problem is the pond will be within about 6 to seven foot from my neighbours home foundations and about a foot from their boundary. This means I will also be placing my pump for the pond against their fence and right outside their bifolding doors and patio area. The pond is large (proposed 5.5 meters Wide and 6 foot deep. Also what do I do with drainage and soak always as I think there maybe one where I want to site it. Any links to any information greatly appreciated. Thanks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
If the UK is anything like the US, your regulations might be specific and different in various areas. Here we would contact our local building and zoning board for information. Do you have anything like that?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
That location sounds problematic concerning your neighbor. Unless that neighbor is family or a very good friend, I would look for another location or make the pond more narrow.

You might have a problem accessing that side of your pond. Would you be walking on your neighbors property if you had to do something on that side?

I know where I live in Pennsylvania, there are setback requirements. Nothing can be built within 15 feet of the property line. I can put up a fence, but even that has to be 12 inches from the property line for maintenance purposes.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1618765260245.gif
@Yorkpond
I would be checking w/ the gov't on this one just to avoid any future problems.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

I’m sorry, but you need to keep looking into this on your local level. Total strangers can give you advice all day long, but in the end, nothing we say will count.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am looking to build a large Koi pond myself. I know there is no specific planning law related to ponds but know there are building regulations, the problem is a cannot find them anywhere. The proposed pond will be approximately 5 meters from my home but the problem is the pond will be within about 6 to seven foot from my neighbours home foundations and about a foot from their boundary. This means I will also be placing my pump for the pond against their fence and right outside their bifolding doors and patio area. The pond is large (proposed 5.5 meters Wide and 6 foot deep. Also what do I do with drainage and soak always as I think there maybe one where I want to site it. Any links to any information greatly appreciated. Thanks

You might have a look at boundary wall legislation too, IIRC, you have to leave 1m from anything to the boundary to allow for maintenance of the boundary, the fence wall etc. But check that.. (it may only be 500mm but I'm certain there is something.) I'm planning a pond only 500mm from the house on one side and the garage on the other, but there will be concrete involved and I know the foundations go down 1m rather than the normal 600mm..

As for planning departments... hmmm.. My understanding is that they are not covered directly by planning permission but there is a minefield of other legislation that a jobsworths can impose.. eg. digging a pond by hand doesnt need planning permission in my area, but the creation of a pond by machinery is considered an engineering operation under the Town and Country Planning Act 1990 (as amended). ... Note also that engineering operations considered as “agricultural work” are exempt from planning permission.
Getting the idea here? filling it with water is not a planning issue but digging the hole you put the water in, is... sometimes! :)

Conservation area? AONB?

It's worth giving your local planning office a call, they are usually really helpful. I've "consulted" them on all the projects I've done from a new shed to a very large extension. They offer a one to one service where they will come out and look at what you want to do and tell you whats the best way to get permission, if required.. theres a charge for that, £450 (locally, might vary by planning office). Telephone advice, is with a mountain of caveats, usually free.

One final thought, find a local wildlife trust, the local one here has been a big help with advice and assistance. As for the bureaucracy side of things... Best of LUCK!! :)

Link to UK building regs. Building regs uk

Last edited:

Ask a Question