Pond buildup

Reaction score
Country
United States
Total novice to pond maintenance, sorry. Take a look at the pic attached. What is the white build-up around the leaves? Is it some sort of protein residue? Either way, any ideas on how to fix? I notice that many of the lily pads are not well formed, any connection?

I live in Colorado and this pond is about 500-700 gals.

Does all tap water need to be dechlorinated? If yes, can you please recommend a product. Thanks.

Pete.

Attachments

• 20150615_094714.jpg
    20150615_094714.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 230
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I think the foam is from a little bit of protein buidup, maybe nothing to be concerned about.
Has anything changed recently? - fish deaths, algae dieoff?
Filters cleaned regularly?
I can't recommend a dechlorinator, I'm on a well, but the small lily leaves could be due to colder water temperatures.
Maybe someone more familiar with lilies can help more.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
My lilies have taken off in the warm weather we're having lately. Did you fertilize your lilies? I use Microbe Lift's pond conditioner - removes chlorine and choramide. I buy what's on sale :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Tx for the responses.

I had the pond completely cleaned (they emptied and removed everything) about 2 months ago.

I put algaefix in every 2-3 weeks but have done nothing else.

I'll pickup some pond conditioner.

Can you remove (?) protein buildup?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Dissolved protein (or DOC - Dissolved Organic Carbon) levels rise and fall all the time.
Plants, algae and bacteria will take care of most of it. It's normal.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You might want to check to be sure what your city adds to the water there. We have "chloramines," so I get conditioners that specify that on the label. Just be sure that whatever product you get will address what's in your water.

And as a safety precaution, buy extra and always keep some on hand -- you never know when you'll have to do an emergency water change or a refill!

Ask a Question