Pond built; No permit

Reaction score
Well I hired a well known pond builder to build a 2400 gallon koi pond by converting a block planter box. This builder assured me that no building permit was required and I recall researching this and coming to the conclusion that no permit was required. Bottom line is that the pond was completed at a cost of approximately $35,000. It has been in operation for about a year. The pond has two drains which basically drain out onto my dirt yard, and I wanted to connect them up to drainage so that my yard does not get soggy every time I do a water change, so I called the county building inspector to inquire if I need a permit for this. The inspector said firstly that yes I do need a permit for connecting drainage, but that I also should have gotten a permit for the pond since it is over 18" tall. Now I am worried that a building inspector may require changes to my pond, or say the pond is not even usable after spending 35K. I think that it was true that most ponds to not require a permit, but the fact that my pond is over 18" tall is what makes it require a permit. What should I do?
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:53695]

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
It's always easier to ask for forgiveness than to get a permit beforehand. Apply for the drainage permit, and plead ignorance to all else!
John

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It looks fenced in and is in your back yard .I would go after the builder that is one big chunk of change for his big boo boo .I check myself here before building my pond in my front yard .To many builders just want the money and don't care .He should pay fines also if there are any .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wow that would be a horrible position to be in and hope they forgive you OJ. It's one thing w/ our ponds w/ a hole and a liner thrown in but yours is way permanent and would cost you a bundle to have it redone. The pond builder did a very nice job on the pond if that helps any :biggrinangelA:

Reaction score
Unfortunately I have another project to install some sliding glass doors right in front of the pond, where a permit is again in question. I have had multiple contractors tell me that a permit is not needed, while I have called twice and spoke to one of the senior inspectors who said that a permit is indeed required to install these doors. Further I have already purchased the doors, so looks like there will be an inspector out to the house in the near future.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
You need a permit to install doors? I thought that a permit is need only if there are structural changes or changes to electrical wiring, etc.
OK, here's my advice based on my experience. When calling the permit department, always use a foreign accent and give a fake address. Do you have any enemies, someone you don't like at work? Call using their address.

Orangele said:
Unfortunately I have another project to install some sliding glass doors right in front of the pond, where a permit is again in question. I have had multiple contractors tell me that a permit is not needed, while I have called twice and spoke to one of the senior inspectors who said that a permit is indeed required to install these doors. Further I have already purchased the doors, so looks like there will be an inspector out to the house in the near future.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
some states have lots of permits you need just so they can make money .Geeze here I did not even need a permit for my decks as long as they were less than 2 ft off the ground .Did not even need a permit for the shed as long as no electric is in it but I did insulate and drywall and put electric and running water but seems as long as they don't see it they don't care .Carport and front porch I needed permits

Reaction score
Where I live you need a permit for everything except paint - everything no matter how small.

At this point I would lay low and hope they say nothing. If they don't know about it already don't bring it to there attention.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Well, it should be obvious that you didn't realize you needed a permit or you'd have never asked about one for the drainage. Do you have any original paper work from your pond contractor? I too would not volunteer anything else, just move forward requesting permits for your other projects. If they come down on you, you can honestly tell them the contractor misled you.

Very nice pond BTW:)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The contractor needs to licensed so let him handle it and if he doesn't ,threaten to turn him in as he could loose his license and actually I have no sympathy for him .He is doing all this illegally and should be stopped .It makes good contractors look bad .

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
All jokes aside, I don't like over-meddling by the government. If it doesn't affect anyone else, why should the government be involved? If some guy lived on a large property and wanted to build a unsafe hut to live in, let him do it. If it falls down and kills him, then it's his own fault. Maybe he wants to live dangerously and he should be allowed to do it. To require permits for water features and sliding doors borders on the ridiculous.

Ask a Question