Pond chlorine Emergency

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Luckily all i had in the pond were a couple of 50 cent goldfish and two 16$ koi. lesson learned for in the future if i ever get some expensive fish. I will defiantly consider the hose timer or i might even just use straight up rain water.
Paul you may consider getting yourself one of these dechlorinator units :-

http://www.vyair.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=68

They condition thousands of gallons of water before you need replace the cartridges , we use one on our own pond and never have trouble .
Its a peace of mind knowing that you cant go wrong when using one

Dave

Reaction score
Paul you may consider getting yourself one of these dechlorinator units :-

http://www.vyair.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=68

They condition thousands of gallons of water before you need replace the cartridges , we use one on our own pond and never have trouble .
Its a peace of mind knowing that you cant go wrong when using one

Dave

I don't think buying one of these units is worth it just because i have a small pond with very cheap fish. If i had a much larger pond with more pricey fish it would defiantly be worth it. For now I'm just going to use a dechlor liquid or just use rainwater, but thanks for the advice

Reaction score
To be blunt, if the fish seem to be suffering you may want to euthanize them. The damage has been done. Their gills will probably never recover. The fish will probably never reach their potential.
Im not 100% sure that it was chlorine poisoning. My fish that was in the worst condition was a hair away from dieing and was laying on his side barely breathing. The thought crossed my mind to end his suffering but i never did it. Now he has showed the far most improvement out of all the fish and is swimming around and is the only one with a strong appetite.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I don't think buying one of these units is worth it just because i have a small pond with very cheap fish. If i had a much larger pond with more pricey fish it would defiantly be worth it. For now I'm just going to use a dechlor liquid or just use rainwater, but thanks for the advice
That isnt the attitude if your in the Uk they cost approx £37.00 which is quite cheap as to size of pond our own is only 1,000 gallons imperial .
Fish like ourselves have a long life span goldfish up to 40+ years koi 80+ years thats if they are looked after correctly (for too long the attitude has been ah well they are cheap , lets buy more because those others died ), we are slowly trying to change that attitude by helping others understand their fish.
You made a mistake your fish paid for that mistake with there lives, so dont you think you sort of owe it to future fish you buy for a long and happy existance .
There are good people on this site with a vast amount of knowledge all like ourselves are more than willing to help , we ourselves have been keeping koi for 27 years now and have one koi tht weve had from the start aged 27+ years so you see it is possible for them to live long and happy lives Oh as koi go he was cheap £3.50p

Dave

Reaction score
That isnt the attitude if your in the Uk they cost approx £37.00 which is quite cheap as to size of pond our own is only 1,000 gallons imperial .
Fish like ourselves have a long life span goldfish up to 40+ years koi 80+ years thats if they are looked after correctly (for too long the attitude has been ah well they are cheap , lets buy more because those others died ), we are slowly trying to change that attitude by helping others understand their fish.
You made a mistake your fish paid for that mistake with there lives, so dont you think you sort of owe it to future fish you buy for a long and happy existance .
There are good people on this site with a vast amount of knowledge all like ourselves are more than willing to help , we ourselves have been keeping koi for 27 years now and have one koi tht weve had from the start aged 27+ years so you see it is possible for them to live long and happy lives Oh as koi go he was cheap £3.50p

Dave
First off i don't live in uk and i don't think they send to America if so shipping a probably a lot. Second it's not that I don't want to take care of my fish its just that I don't need it. Im going to use rain water instead so i don't have to worry about chemicals in the water. I completely understand that fish lives are precious but I'd prefer to use rain water which is free and i know has no chemicals instead of having to buy something that I'm not 100% works.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
They do have a version of the dechlorinator on your side of the pond Paul ,
Lets start again many of us make mistakes like the one you had , that I'm not knocking , we all do it even Val and myself .
As I said we are all here to help with issues of fish health and find fellowship in our respective parts of the hobby .
Rain water will help in part but your still going to need to add water from the taps unless you have a well which you could draw you water from as some of our membrs do .

Dave

Reaction score
They do have a version of the dechlorinator on your side of the pond Paul ,
Lets start again many of us make mistakes like the one you had , that I'm not knocking , we all do it even Val and myself .
As I said we are all here to help with issues of fish health and find fellowship in our respective parts of the hobby .
Rain water will help in part but your still going to need to add water from the taps unless you have a well which you could draw you water from as some of our membrs do .

Dave
Thanks for all the replies!! This is the first place i come if i have problems with my pond because i know you all will respond and give me great advice. Thanks for the tips Dave and i actually have a big tank maybe 150 to 250 gal that collects rain water off the roof. Even if i have a dry spell i have some tap water conditioner that i could use to remove the Chlorine. Now for a bigger pond its allot harder to collect as much rainwater and treating all the water can get pricey, thats when I think I would need to buy a chlorine filter but for now i think I'm fine but thanks again for the good advice.
~Paul

Reaction score
UPDATE
Just an update on how the fish are doing. The six that remained are all still alive and doing perfectly fine besides one that got cotton wool fugus (i talk about this in another one of my posts). It was sad losing half of my fish and i hate for it to happen again to my fish or anyone esles fish so i came up with a little system to help fill up my pond.What I've done ,and suggest others to do, is to have a rain tank (mine holds 250 gallons). Hook your rain tank up to your gutter and then on the output run pipes to your pond. I had the tank before the accident but i didn't have an easy way to lead the water to the pond so as you can see in the pictures i made a pipe trail (luckily my tank happened to be on the other side of the fence). I really encourage anyone using tap water to switch to rain water because i felt awful and stupid when I accedently left the hose on.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 295
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 253
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 316

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Rainwater is fine, but what you are utilizing is 'grey water' which may contain any of a number of pollutants deposited on your roof over time. In addition, roofing shingles and other materials tend to break down over time due to exposure to the Sun's UV rays. The end results of this decomposition become mixed with the rain water likely increasing its level of pollutants.and danger to the health of the pond's inhabitants.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Use the rainwater.

It's a pond, not a level three laboratory.

Sheesh........

Reaction score
I have a rain barrel and considered using it also but then fear creep in when someone mentioned contaminated from my roof. Jury is still out on that one. My plants don't die off when I water them with the rain water.

I am concerned about if the water has set of a long period of time and becomes stagnate. Any info on that aspect of rain water?

Reaction score
First off i don't think i have much stuff coming from the roof and even if i do I run the water through a fine screen before it goes into the tank (this screen also keeps Mosquitos from going in and reproducing in the water). And lisaebetten, i normally keep my rai water tank empty. Whether its watering the plants or filling the pond it always is low. Even if i have no water in the tank and i need to fill my pond. I first fill the tank with tap water, then treat it with declor and then let it go into the pond. So i don't think you should have a problem using rain water as long as it hasn't been sitting there for like a month and it is relatively clean

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
What is really being discussed here is Rainwater Catchment or basically impermeable surface run-off. Over time any outdoor impermeable surface, be it a sidewalk, parking lot, patio or roof will accumulate various particulates from the surrounding atmosphere. Some of these are automotive exhausts, industrial pollutants, etc. These same pollutants are deposited on the surrounding soil. The difference is that when it rains, the soil deposited pollutants are, for the most part, absorbed into the soil itself whereas they are concentrated in the run-off from the impermeable surfaces. The express reason for constructing a small berm around a Garden Pond is to prevent any contamination from such run-off. Using untreated rain catchment water directly bypasses and is counter to the purpose of having a berm surrounding a pond. Any article on rain water catchment use will indicate that this water needs to, at least, be treated by the use of a series of settlement tanks/chambers. Rain water before it ever hits the ground has accumulated a certain amount of air-borne pollutants so it is anything but clean and in certain areas of the country would never be classified as potable without being treated.

Ask a Question