Pond chlorine Emergency

Reaction score
What is really being discussed here is Rainwater Catchment or basically impermeable surface run-off. Over time any outdoor impermeable surface, be it a sidewalk, parking lot, patio or roof will accumulate various particulates from the surrounding atmosphere. Some of these are automotive exhausts, industrial pollutants, etc. These same pollutants are deposited on the surrounding soil. The difference is that when it rains, the soil deposited pollutants are, for the most part, absorbed into the soil itself whereas they are concentrated in the run-off from the impermeable surfaces. The express reason for constructing a small berm around a Garden Pond is to prevent any contamination from such run-off. Using untreated rain catchment water directly bypasses and is counter to the purpose of having a berm surrounding a pond. Any article on rain water catchment use will indicate that this water needs to, at least, be treated by the use of a series of settlement tanks/chambers. Rain water before it ever hits the ground has accumulated a certain amount of air-borne pollutants so it is anything but clean and in certain areas of the country would never be classified as potable without being treated.
Yes there are airborne pollutants but it is completely over reacting if you say I can't use it because of that. Rain goes into my pond and it goes into every pond or lake in the world every single time it rains. Now the reason i put a brim around my pond is to keep dirt from washing into my pond and i think many pond owners do it for the same reason not because of road or patio contaminants. Secondly i sort of get the whole roof debris issue but even if the debris does somehow make it to the pond then i have a filter in the pond that would just clean it out. So i believe rain water is much safer than tap water but every way you go about making a homemade pond nothing will ever be perfect

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I would never recommend to any of my customers that they substitute a water source of unknown chemical content for a source that the chemical content is known to be safe. I have never been an advocate of playing 'Russian Roulette' with the health and stability of any pond. But that's me.

Reaction score
I would never recommend to any of my customers that they substitute a water source of unknown chemical content for a source that the chemical content is known to be safe. I have never been an advocate of playing 'Russian Roulette' with the health and stability of any pond. But that's me.
I acually just finished reading an article on this subject and in it it said rainwater is the most pure form of water. Now i understand how it can get slightly contaminated on its way down the roof but its a pond we aren't drinking the water. Now if your telling me tap water is better to use for pond water, that is most certainly a lie but for drinking water, its not. Even the most pure water in the world could get "contaminated" while running through plastic tubes. In my terms, water qualifies to be used in the pond if it looks clean and clear of suspended particles and if it passes all the catagories in my pond water test kit. These water conditions are fine for my hardy koi and goldfish

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Rainwater is fine, but what you are utilizing is 'grey water' which may contain any of a number of pollutants deposited on your roof over time. In addition, roofing shingles and other materials tend to break down over time due to exposure to the Sun's UV rays. The end results of this decomposition become mixed with the rain water likely increasing its level of pollutants.and danger to the health of the pond's inhabitants.
Agree totally with you on this these increasing level of pollutants become a problem and can in some cases harm our fish with potentially life threatening problems dependant on what pollutants are present in the water which you cannot be sure of .
It would be advisable to strain this water through a filter of some sorts [quiltbatting] prior to it being used in the pond and also should be kept oxygenated whilst being stored in your container which is what many who use rain water do in the UK .

Dave

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I was going to facetiously post that if rainwater was such a danger, that all ponds should be covered with a tent, or even built indoors.......I read the article.

I laughed when it suggested that the pond should indeed be covered.

Of course, if you choose to build a pond beside an oil field with flare towers......

Use the rainwater.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I was told on one forum that I shouldn't even consider building a pond because I was in an acid rain zone. My plants and fish would never survive. Five years later I'm still waiting for the dire prediction to come true. When my fish finally die of old age, I'll assume it was the rain water.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Here is just one of many articles addressing this subject.
http://www.pondtrademag.com/articles/ar-184/

Good article.

I was going to facetiously post that if rainwater was such a danger, that all ponds should be covered with a tent, or even built indoors.......I read the article.

I laughed when it suggested that the pond should indeed be covered.

Of course, if you choose to build a pond beside an oil field with flare towers......

Use the rainwater.

Problem is more so with the solvent capability of rain water. Pure water is an excellent solvent, which means it will dissolve anything that has a notable solubility in water.

Sure, if the rain water was directly entering the pond, then most likely no worries. However, whenever runoff is concerned, there is far more added to the water and, at this point, there is no reasonable approach to suggest the rain water is anywhere near "clean". Run off would involve various captured salts from roof cleaning solutions or from land based fertilizers or could carry other elements. In many areas, roof cleaning is quite common, which involves various chemicals that leave a residue. Depending on the roof tile, there are particular tile that are more prone to UV decomposition thus release the constituent chemicals along with the rain. If the roof is some type of metal or metal-like material, then likely no worries unless roof cleaning is involved. Generally, I always recommend capturing the roof water and allow this to gravity flow through an activated carbon filter, which can be easily DIY'd or can be built into the gutters.

"Clear does not mean clean" for fish use such as look at how the sodium component within baking soda or other pond aquarium products gradually increases the water's salinity over a long period of time, dependent on use, but the water still "looks clear". Same applies with nitrite buildup from runoff even though the water "looks clear".

"Salt" is not specifically referring to sodium. "Salt" refers to any residual compound that remains within water after a chemical reaction and chemical reactions are constant all around us, even within our own bodies, depositing different salts that either must be physically removed or biologically consumed. Salt buildup is the concern when involving rain runoff water.

I bet rain water is quite safe for us since our air is no where near polluted like it is in Mexico City, but, if you live near an incinerator or other areas that have these smog producing facilities, then there should be concern. The specific reason why mercury levels are so high in particular "freshwater" lakes near cities is due to these smog industries, which is why garbage incinerating was outlawed sometime ago except think there are still exceptions allowed.

Now, this is not a problem for the fish, but, if you have pets drinking from the pond or care to use the water to irrigate vegetables, then the extent of water pollution becomes more of a concern even though the fish might be fine.

Generally, I imagine most folk will be fine, but there are always exceptions to the rule, which should not be so easily ignored.

I was told on one forum that I shouldn't even consider building a pond because I was in an acid rain zone. My plants and fish would never survive. Five years later I'm still waiting for the dire prediction to come true. When my fish finally die of old age, I'll assume it was the rain water.

Yeah, I think there is too much fear mongering when rain water itself is involved, except the situation changes slightly when talking about rain runoff water such as when it comes from a roof or an over fertilized lawn or a flowerbed contain significant pre-emergent residuals, etc.

I know of folk that have had pond kills due to serious rain falls, which is why maintaining alkalinity is quite important. Aquatic kills due to heavy rain fall in small lakes or rivers is actually not that rare.

Generally, I imagine most folk will be fine, but there are always exceptions to the rule, which should not be so easily ignored.

There are easy fixes such as filtering roof rainwater runoff through a gravity flow activate carbon filter, buildup berms around the pond to prevent rain runoff from lawns, and to increase the water's alkalinity or utilize a significant volume of crystalline calcium carbonate (i.e., crushed oyster shells, other forms, etcs).

Personally, I very much welcome the rain water since I am trying to make my alkalinity quite low and my ground water alkalinity is incredibly high. However, I just don't let the rain water runoff enter the tank/pond water without proper precautions.

Last edited:

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I've shore-fished the Pickering nuclear plant on Lake Ontario many times over the years.

I've been topping off my pond with roof-collected rainwater for more than 20 years.

Maybe I'm a superhero whose true powers are masked by Gin.

Reaction score
Great article, as long as you don't live by Chernobyl or other such hazardous areas rain water sounds fine. Check the parameters, make sure your tank is clean and not stagnate. Never really considered the people who live in areas where water isn't abundant.

@Lisak1 I tell ya there are fear mongers out there that could keep ya locked in your house if ya let them!
Really acid rain in Illinois? I live in Michigan and grew up 2 hours from Chicago. Wouldn't acid rain ruin everything from yards, plants, animals?

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I've shore-fished the Pickering nuclear plant on Lake Ontario many times over the years.

I've been topping off my pond with roof-collected rainwater for more than 20 years.

Maybe I'm a superhero whose true powers are masked by Gin.

Maybe ... Or ... You're just fortunate. ;)

Correlation does not imply causation. Just because you've been safe does not mean it will be safe for everyone else.

I rarely ever wear a jacket during the Winter and I have not gotten sick in 10 years, but this does not mean I tell folk to stop wasting money from buying jackets during the Winter. ;)

If they have significant algae blooms and then wonder why and do not want to give proper responsibility where it is due and want to moreso blame other issues, then no worries on my part.

By all means, I'm fine with folk testing their luck.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Really acid rain in Illinois? I live in Michigan and grew up 2 hours from Chicago. Wouldn't acid rain ruin everything from yards, plants, animals?

Not necessarily. Technically, all rain is "acid".

Yards and plants generally love acid rain preferably hovering around the 4~6 pH range. This is one of the major reasons why plants respond so notably, demonstrating accelerated growth and better color, after a rain due to the release of nutrients created by the rain's acidity solvent abilities.

The point at which the acidity actually "ruins" stuff is when the acidity drops to around 3.0, which happens more often in the tropics during a serious thunderstorm or in significantly polluted areas where the acid rain is caused due to sulfide build up in the atmosphere.

Ask a Question