Pond chore report

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Just sharing with people who will appreciate... Today I went outside intending to hose off the matala pad in the skimmer. 2 hours later, I was submerged in water up to my armpits!

When I sit outside by the pond, I've noticed a planter bag at the bottom of the pond. It had fallen off at some point and was on its side way down there. It was driving me crazy. Also down at the bottom of the pond: a lily pot (planter bag) that I dropped down lower last year. It is too deep, I think -- AND I learned I made the common mistake of planting it with the wrong end against the side of the pot. All the new stems have been squished up against the side of the pot - nothing going towards the pot center. Leaf and flower production has slowed down too.

So -- I get out there today and think -- I could lower the water level and get in there and pull some plant over growth. So - shoes and socks come off and I get in the pond. While I'm standing on the first shelf, calf-deep in the water, I notice that pesky pot that was on the bottom on its side. Hmm. Maybe I can reach that if I walk down to the second step. Now I'm in mid thigh. I lean over, and can't quite reach it. So, I hop out of the pond and open my drain gate. The water goes down a couple of inches. I get back in and try it again. I can ALMOST reach it. At that point, I decide to just get in. There I am! The water is up to my bra line.

I bend over and get the fallen pot out. Even moving slowly, it stirs up all sorts of crud and gunk. I get the pot out. I look around and wait for the murky stuff to settle a bit. Now I'm thinking about all my body parts submerged in that swampy water. I decide to stop thinking about that, since it's too freaky. I'm already in. Might as well keep going.

I bend over slowly and lift my chin to keep my mouth out of the water. I've got the edges of the lily planter!!!! Slowly I lift it off the bottom and move it to the second shelf. This REALLY stirs up the crud and the stank. The fish are delirious with joy! Since I can't see the bottom, I use my monkey toes to feel around and pull some aggressive growers. The root of these plants have all kinds of yuck and crud. I saw an interesting worm that looks for the world like a tiny earthworm. Pinky reddish. Not a leech. I wonder what he was? As the water began to clear a little, I noticed that the lily had started to bust out the bottom of the planter.

So - later this week, my plan is to come back with an oil pan and some cat litter. I'll repot the lily - this time in the right direction. And that is how hosing out the filter pad required full body immersion and ended up taking two hours!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Just sharing with people who will appreciate... Today I went outside intending to hose off the matala pad in the skimmer. 2 hours later, I was submerged in water up to my armpits!

When I sit outside by the pond, I've noticed a planter bag at the bottom of the pond. It had fallen off at some point and was on its side way down there. It was driving me crazy. Also down at the bottom of the pond: a lily pot (planter bag) that I dropped down lower last year. It is too deep, I think -- AND I learned I made the common mistake of planting it with the wrong end against the side of the pot. All the new stems have been squished up against the side of the pot - nothing going towards the pot center. Leaf and flower production has slowed down too.

So -- I get out there today and think -- I could lower the water level and get in there and pull some plant over growth. So - shoes and socks come off and I get in the pond. While I'm standing on the first shelf, calf-deep in the water, I notice that pesky pot that was on the bottom on its side. Hmm. Maybe I can reach that if I walk down to the second step. Now I'm in mid thigh. I lean over, and can't quite reach it. So, I hop out of the pond and open my drain gate. The water goes down a couple of inches. I get back in and try it again. I can ALMOST reach it. At that point, I decide to just get in. There I am! The water is up to my bra line.

I bend over and get the fallen pot out. Even moving slowly, it stirs up all sorts of crud and gunk. I get the pot out. I look around and wait for the murky stuff to settle a bit. Now I'm thinking about all my body parts submerged in that swampy water. I decide to stop thinking about that, since it's too freaky. I'm already in. Might as well keep going.

I bend over slowly and lift my chin to keep my mouth out of the water. I've got the edges of the lily planter!!!! Slowly I lift it off the bottom and move it to the second shelf. This REALLY stirs up the crud and the stank. The fish are delirious with joy! Since I can't see the bottom, I use my monkey toes to feel around and pull some aggressive growers. The root of these plants have all kinds of yuck and crud. I saw an interesting worm that looks for the world like a tiny earthworm. Pinky reddish. Not a leech. I wonder what he was? As the water began to clear a little, I noticed that the lily had started to bust out the bottom of the planter.

So - later this week, my plan is to come back with an oil pan and some cat litter. I'll repot the lily - this time in the right direction. And that is how hosing out the filter pad required full body immersion and ended up taking two hours!

I sold my old house with the pond. I just made a small 126 gallon pond. I don't miss the days of cleaning my 1k gallon pond. A small task like that can take hours at times. My biggest mistake is not having a bottom drain built in.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have only ever been in my pond when I was building it .I use window screening and make plant pockets and hang my plants off the side of the pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States

I enjoy reading your adventures! :)
Just recently I pulled up my Marigold to take a cutting and there were a few worms tangled up in the roots. They were nice and chubby and look to be earthworms,
I never knew that Earthworm liked water, I have never seen them in the pond before, and I know they come to the surface when it rains, but I've always thought they come out of the dirt to avoid drawning, now I think they come out cause they like the water

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Thanks for the tale. I have learned something from you today. If I find, I ever have to get into the pond, and "I'm thinking about all my body parts submerged in that swampy water" I will get my teenager and sent him in. Thanks
:ROFLMAO:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I get in my pond all the time! The water smells so good and the fish love the company! My very best gardening days end with me in the water.
I get into my pond quite often. The fish love to come and nibble on my legs. I really need to get in and fertilize the poor lilies. They did not like the fertilizer I gave them this year. I need to go in a pull out some rocks that the deer have knocked in when they are eating the lily pads.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a-5b
Country
Canada
:wtf: Just the thought of that murky stinky water is giving me the heebie jeebies. Although ours are preformed, it is still hubbies chore to clean all the gunk.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@Louisa - nothing murky or stinky about my pond! My water smells so good I'm always making my husband smell my arm when I get out. It smells exactly like when I've been swimming in my favorite lake! He agrees with me, but still thinks I'm a nut!
My favourite lake is closed due to high bacteria levels. Now considering bacteria eats sweat if I have enough bacteria in my pond, maybe my teen will come out smelling like a Lillie. Win win. I may sell my pond water in a spray bottle on E bay.

Ask a Question