Pond cleaning, juvenile fish and blanket weed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have a filter bt my pond has been overrun by blanket weed. Fish seems healthy and have spawned at least 40 juvenile fish.

They seem to be fine eating the weed but wanted to know if it would be a good idea to get the pond cleaned (with juvenile fish) or would it be best to wait it out.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I would never get a pond cleaned .You are starting over .Toilet bowl brush works on removing stuff .But it means it is protecting your fish from something .It grows because it is being fed by fish waste .Overfeeding and do you test your water

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Tell us a bit more about your pond - how many gallons, total fish count, type of fish, type of filtration, etc.

The excess algae is telling you your pond is overloaded with nutrients from fish waste. It’s also helping keep the water safe for your fish. I would guess you have too many fish for the size of your pond. Remove or kill the algae and it will spell doom for your fish.

The standard advice is to stop feeding to reduce the amount of waste they are producing and work to reduce your fish load. Remove the cause of the algae and the pond will take care of itself.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
over feeding fish means more nutrients the fish produce which feeds the plants and the plants get bigger and so does blanket weed and algae and those plants growing protect your fish from death .Liquid water test kit like API

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
and all the good muck is gone and then it is starting all over .Fish can very stressed out also and going back into a freshly cleaned pond may be really hard on them

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the reply all. I have posted a few pictures of the pond in its current state. I have stopped feeding the fish and the juvenile fish seem to be doing fine. Haven't seen the larger fish yet as I assume they are just chilling at the bottom or were all eaten by the Heron.

C:\Users\HABIBP~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.jpg

Ask a Question