Pond Cleanup

OzarksGuy

Pond in Use
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Have a great Thanksgiving, everyone. I'm new here, and have a showcase item on the old spring pool in the Ozarks we are cleaning up. The pool lies about sixty feet downstream of a spring that flows continuously throughout the year with minimum flow around 30 gpm. Old timers in the area say the pool is what's left of a gravel pit, most of what was filled back in with overburden and stone that had been mixed in with the gravel. The pool either was left, or washed out during heavy rains when the spring likely flows somewhere above 500 gpm. The pool was full of stones ( see pictures at Showcase) and muck from decayed leaves, but it looked like it had some potential, so our family got to work with picks and shovels this past summer.

We ended up this fall with what you see in the lower picture. It started out as in the first pic.
Early-0.JPG
Fall with Bridge - Copy (1024x768).jpg
You can see more on the Showcase, "Coldwater Pool Cleanup".

I'd love to see what others have done with cleanups, and also get your ideas for plantings and other landscape features we could add. Thanks.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
So very pretty! You've done a great job of making it look cared for and yet still very natural.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wow Guy what a difference you made to that pond.............it looks so nice now. Love the bridge and the rock falls!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Great natural pond you have there, welcome from Plymouth in the UK

Dave

OzarksGuy

Pond in Use
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Lisa, JW, Dave and T -

Thanks for the encouragement and kind words. You and the others on this site are very nice. My family and I enjoyed doing the work, especially after the hot weather with its ticks and chiggers was over. The fall colors help the photo. The Ozarks are beautiful in the fall - I can't take credit for that. Shortly after the fall picture, we got a freeze, and frost flowers had grown over night on dead weed stems all around the pool area. We've never seen them elsewhere, and it took us a while to figure out what they were. Always something new!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Very nice. Love the bridge and the stacked rock walls. Well done. :)

Ask a Question