Pond clear out and pump installation advice

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
Take a volt meter and see if one of the terminals has continuity to the ground. If one has continuity then it will be the neutral. Chances are they will both be isolated from the ground side then I don't know.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I assume there isn't a wiring diagram under the cover.
Obviously the ground goes under that green screw on top. Make sure you connect the ground. It's very important.
It looks like that motor has the capability of choosing different voltages. That's probably why both those screws are brass colored. If it were strictly 115 volts, most likely one screw would be silver (white neutral wire) and one would be brass ( black hot wire). So, I guessing it doesnt matter. But just to make sure, try Ronfire's suggestion.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The only thing that will happen if you get the wires wrong aside from the ground is the pump will run backwards and not pump water so then it would just require switching the two wires around and it will be fine

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
A single phase 120 volt motor will not reverse rotation by reversing the input polarity. It's more complicated than that. You have to change position of the winding connections to accomplish that.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's a dual voltage motor so I can select 110 or 220.

I just noticed where I labeled "A" there is a label of "1" next to the screw, and a "2" next to where I labeled "B".

I am going to try to put the hot where 1 is and neutral where 2 is and see what happens.

As far as the stand I figured out what happened. The stand I have now does not fit that pump.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Sounds like a good plan (the wiring). Let us know how you make out.
As far as the stand, maybe you can build up something under the strainer or create an extension on the existing stand that will raise the strainer portion to the level of the motor. Maybe as simple as a block of wood but it would need to be attached to something due to the vibration.
Or, just partially bury the stand in the soil.

Ask a Question