Pond Collars -- advice needed for a project

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
POND COLLARS -- something I've not seen mentioned on GPF, I guess 'cause the application is used mostly for koi-type ponds. But I've recently run into some "issues" with my pond walls, and have been doing research.

If you don't know what a "collar" is, I'll find a link and post it that will give better info. But basically it's a ring that goes around the top of the pond [mostly poured concrete, but can be concrete blocks]. Think of it like a FOOTER, except that it goes at or just below grade. From my understanding, it's mostly meant to give stability around the edges, especially in situations where folks have rock as edging, rock ledges, etc.

I won't go into details [unless you want them....], but having "wall" issues, and yes, I've figured out what's causing it all..... For now, this is just a bandaid, but until the day comes that I can rebuild the entire pond......

One thing I'm going to have to do is rebuild 2 sections of the sloping wall, and will be doing that with concrete block. Am also going to install a "collar," around as much of the pond as I can while I'm doing this work. What I'm wondering is if the collar itself can act as the rock ledge with another layer of block on top of that as the berm?

And when I say "concrete block," I mean cinder block.
image.jpg

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Poured concrete collars are USUALLY poured in a shallow trench (6"?) BEFORE the pond is dug (digged? dugged? EXCAVATED!) that way there is no need for forms, as the trench itself becomes the form. If you plan to install a collar after the fact, you will need to place some kind of retaining wall on the pond side until the concrete cures. As for the concrete block berm, it's an excellent idea. Just make the collar wide enough to place the blocks on.
John

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They make a hard plastic pond collar .I happen to see it on you tube and it is explained as just a pvc or hard plastic pond with out a bottom .It was a month ago when I was on there looking at pond pumps .I wish i had written down the sight .It came in standard sizes but also came in custom at an extra cost .I tried to find it again but so far no luck .It said it gives strength to the edge of the pond .It was from 2010 so it was an older post

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
They make a hard plastic pond collar .I happen to see it on you tube and it is explained as just a pvc or hard plastic pond with out a bottom .It was a month ago when I was on there looking at pond pumps .I wish i had written down the sight .It came in standard sizes but also came in custom at an extra cost .I tried to find it again but so far no luck .It said it gives strength to the edge of the pond .It was from 2010 so it was an older post

That's interesting -- will have to look it up.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Can't really say what it was because I only casually looked at it in passing .

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Can't really say what it was because I only casually looked at it in passing .
I googled "PVC pond collar," and the first thing that popped up looked like a defunct company. Oh well, but didn't check out all the hits. Need to google for YouTube, too, I guess.

Ask a Question