Pond completely clean! Couple questions on next steps

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Pond is completely empty and all rocks/plants/sludge have been removed - what a job!
20190812_180609.jpg

Underneath the waterfall I removed a lot of big rocks and it looks like there's a flat pocket directly underneath. Any idea why that's there? Should I pile some rocks back there again?

20190812_180553_HDR.jpg

This is one of two plant pockets on the opposite side of the pond. I'm thinking of converting these into big filters, this is the other one:

20190812_180557.jpg

I realized today probably the most obvious bog filter would be the little pool at the top of the waterfall it's about a foot deep but I don't have a good pic.

Next steps are to get those bog filters in with a foot of 3/8 pea gravel and piping in there, replace all the old brittle plastic tubing with stronger rubber tubing, replace the pump, and replace the older plants around the edge and plant some new ones.

Let me know if I'm on the right track! I'm flying by the seat of my pants here so any tips/advice would be very appreciated.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm going to guess the area under the waterfall was a small pool for the water to cascade into.

You're doing great! What a lot of work!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Don't know why it was built but i can guess what it will do and that is to airate the water and not just let is speed away from the falls this will also make for a deeper sound to the falls.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Was it full of rocks before? They may have had the waterfall hit the rocks to increase the sound of the falls.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yes it was right full of rocks. So if I want less noise I should leave it empty?
Yep the more rocks the water hits on the way to the pond the louder the noise.

Ask a Question