Pond construction - help :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
the only issue with air is it pulls the water down through the bog and clogs much faster as many say. I can't speek from experience I did up flow bogs

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Hello all,

Again thank you for all the replies.

I took all advice into consideration and I decided to use the sides as a bog filter and not break them down. As the focus is not on koi fish i think i can have some life and clear water in this pond with a decent bog filter. I think it is about 25% of the pond so i guess the previous intention was a koi pond, but this means this bog filter should provide enough surface for plants and will be able to provide capacity for a few fish. :)

I will construct a PVC pipe upflowing system with for example a Pontec pump. Knowing that the content of the pond will be about 2000 liters, bog included, so I am just doubting between a 3500 and a 5000 liter pump. Someone told me that a turnover of the complete content a few times would be positive for the ecosystem. I also know the water flow should not be too fast, but it needs to reach all of the bog, so any tips could be useful! :)

Thank you for all helpful information (and the yet to come)!

I know I am new to this matter, but I want to construct a good pond, for me AND for the fish & plants :)

Greetings,
Jan

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Can't wait to see this take shape! And remember - small pond, small fish. A few goldfish would do great in a pond this size!

Maybe i missed it - have you confirmed that it holds water?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3?
Country
Canada
On the opposite end where the hole is from the bottom make the pipe that will come from both sides have a pipe coming to the top for a clean out. Or if you run one continuous bog pipe from pump out to the end of the run which would almost be a full circle have a 45 degree elbow with the pipe coming slightly above surface of where to pond will top out. This is the same as the other example to have a clean out for the future. I just have a foam roller stick in the end of mine. I unplug it once in awhile to allow water to flush out. Not sure if your going with a liner or repaint that with some or of water sealant. There will be some good folds in the corners but just cover with flat stones and they will hide a lot. You won't see much edge if you plant the right ones growing down into pond as well. I may also suggest a small water spray or fountain in the middle running off the same pump too provide more oxygen to which ever fish you have or a airstone but then you need a air pump. It will be nice have fun.

My quick clean out.

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Can't wait to see this take shape! And remember - small pond, small fish. A few goldfish would do great in a pond this size!

Maybe i missed it - have you confirmed that it holds water?

As the pond is empty, I cleaned the walls and bottom. The whole pond is coated but I noticed a few very little cracks in one area. Therefor I will put a new coat there, even if I think it is still sealed as the coating done was one - if I'm not mistaken - with glass fiber and a top layer, so I am confident. :)

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
On the opposite end where the hole is from the bottom make the pipe that will come from both sides have a pipe coming to the top for a clean out. Or if you run one continuous bog pipe from pump out to the end of the run which would almost be a full circle have a 45 degree elbow with the pipe coming slightly above surface of where to pond will top out. This is the same as the other example to have a clean out for the future. I just have a foam roller stick in the end of mine. I unplug it once in awhile to allow water to flush out. Not sure if your going with a liner or repaint that with some or of water sealant. There will be some good folds in the corners but just cover with flat stones and they will hide a lot. You won't see much edge if you plant the right ones growing down into pond as well. I may also suggest a small water spray or fountain in the middle running off the same pump too provide more oxygen to which ever fish you have or a airstone but then you need a air pump. It will be nice have fun.

My quick clean out.

Thank you for the feedback!
I was indeed thinking of creating 2 separate pipes, one to the left and one to the right, who will meet at the opposite side, but I would not connect them and let both come up to the surface and embed them just like you show in the movie! The idea is that I can easily clean both sides separately because otherwise, if I connect them and let one pipe come out, one side will always be cleaned and the other is not or less.

Thank you for the movie, now I see it in action and it convinced me completely! :)

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
I am planning to upload some progress reports and pictures just to show how a complete newbie is making progress :p

Do I post it here or is there a better thread where I can start a post?

Greetings,
Jan

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Hehe nice!

Indeed it is the miniature version :D

Meanwhile I added some TEC7 Aquastop on the spots I wanted to be extra sure that the structure wouldn't leak. I bought my pipes and connectors, glue, stops and a connector for the pump.
The construction can begin! :)

Greetz,
Jan

Attachments

• IMG_20180902_174106.jpg
    IMG_20180902_174106.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_20180902_174306.jpg
    IMG_20180902_174306.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_20180902_174431.jpg
    IMG_20180902_174431.jpg