Pond construction Q's - bog and stream

Reaction score
I have a large bed on the south side of my decorative hen house that is just itching for a little pond and some landscaping. I got a 165 gallon "Grand Cayman" pre formed pond because last time we used the excavator and dug a pond in this bed we flipped out when we saw what the liner was going to cost. So, we went for smaller this time and are about to break out the mini excavator again. Now, we have the 165 gallon Grand Cayman as well as about a 90 gallon pre formed with no shelves, just an irregular shaped pond.

There are photos of the bare bed and pond shells below. What I am wanting to have is a bog filter inside that smaller pond that feeds a waterfall and a small stream that empties into the main pond. There is water and electricity already plumbed to the coop, so I'm good there. This is a flat bed, so I realize I am going to have to build up and I have LOTS of that white limestone for retaining walls, etc. My question is how do I get that pre formed pond to function as a bog - or is it even possible with that design? How would I create a waterfall to feed the stream that I want to come out of that pre formed pond to the right of the photos? Also, what sized pump will I need to feed my bog which in turn will feed the falls and the stream? I want a decent flow over the falls and some actual flow in the stream, but will a pump big enough to create that be detrimental to my little tiny pond?

Any comments are welcomed. If I am totally on the wrong track with this, I would rather know now than later.
Cheers
M
IMAG0258.jpg

IMAG0255.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
gosh building behind this would make a great water.house just like the one I saw on hgtv .com watergardens go look at it you have a great thing going here you will love the pic .There is a pond there also that has a large stone arch over it with water coming out of the lower part making it a waterfall .And sorry I got excited by what you have and forgot to say welcome ,so welcome aldatrot and hope you check those pics out on hgtv

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
This natural setting lends itself to a design like that and love that fence and the horses

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
little farm

Attachments

• 100_2545.jpg
    100_2545.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 284
  • 100_2521.jpg
    100_2521.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 313
  • 100_2012.jpg
    100_2012.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 300

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome!
They like you to introduce yourself in the intro thread first, but welcome!
flowerwelcomeWHT.gif

It can be done, is your bog being built to be a filter bog? if so you want the water to upflow through the gravel. Pipes below the gravel. Is there pipe fittings in the bottom of these? if not you can plumb over the edge if you do not wish to put any holes in it.

Reaction score
Oops, I forgot to introduce myself...

I'm Mandi, live on the texas gulf coast, and I have the pond fever really bad. I have two stock tanks with channel cats and blue cats, but the garden ponds are somewhat new to me unless you can count having a water trough with goldfish as pond ownership. We have horses, cattle, sheep, chickens, and dogs on our homeplace and we keep some leased land as well. Glad to meet yall!

Cheers
M

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome Mandi, I have a large bog as my filter, any questions just ask, will give you my opinion..........lol
The size of the pump depends on the height you have your waterfall, the width of your stream the size of your pond. How deep and fast do you want your stream to be moving, the wider it is the bigger your pump needs to be.

Ask a Question