Pond construction recommendations?

Reaction score
I have just completed the digging of my pond. It is 18' x 13' x 3.5'(avg depth). The pond I believe is about 5000 gallons. I purchased 3 - 55 gallon drums to construct a series of filters. I am wondering if 3 are overkill. Also, I haven't decided on a submersible pump yet. I'm thinking I need about 3000gph.

Here is what I'm contemplating:
Pond pump -> 55gal barrel (settling) -> 55gal (biofilter) -> 3ft. large waterfall -> pond.

Pond pump -> 55gal barrel (settling) -> 55gal (biofilter) -> 55gal (biofilter) -> 3ft. large waterfall -> pond.

Pond pump -> 55gal barrel (settling) -> 2-55gals (biofilter) in parallel -> 3ft. large waterfall -> pond.

I may add a 4' x 3' bog in between the last 55gal drum and the waterfall.

Will post pics tomorrow. Pond will be lightly stocked with koi.

Reaction score
With 3 barrels going you can more then lightly stock it. Don't think there is an overkill on filtration, the more the better.

Reaction score
Do you think that a 55 gallon barrel can be used as a settling tank or is it too small. What if I just made 3 biofilters?

I also need a submersible pump recommendation. My pond is 5500 gallons. It will pump to about 5 ft total head. I figure I need about 3000 gph at 5' head. I could add a 2nd pump for a smaller waterfall later.

Last question, will 2" bulkheads be large enough to handle 3000 gph in the barrels?

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Your pond is about 500 gal bigger than mine..
I have 3 - 55 gal bio drums and run about 750 gal ph through each one independently,,, each drum has a 2" return to the pond ....all off of a laguna 4200 pump
And 1 drum for my fines filter on a extra pump..
to move 3000 gravity return gals thru the filters you will need 2 - 3" outlets or 1 - 4"

Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
with your measurments your pond is 6126 gals
18x13x3.5x7.48=6126.12

I used 5500 gallons because it is sort of kidney shaped in one corner and it has a decent slope.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Have you thought about gravity feeding the barrels via a bottom drain?

Reaction score
DoDad said:
Have you thought about gravity feeding the barrels via a bottom drain?

I didn't want to do a bottom drain. I didn't want to punch holes in the liner and I have no where to dig a pit.

Reaction score
You can do a retro bottom drain where you don't have to put holes in your liner. AquaArt has one and I would highly recommend it for your size pond. Tetra makes a retro bottom drain, too, but I don't like the way it's plumbed on the top. The aqua art one is plumbed on the side, so there's no hose in the way.

I think the number of barrels you have selected is perfect for your size pond if it will be lightly stocked. However, I question your submersible pump. Why are you not getting an external pump? Who wants to be fishing an submersible pump out of a pond that size? It will be continually stopped up with muck and gunk. Will be hard to keep it free from clogging up in the water.

Get an external with a leaftrap on it. Try a Sequence 750...the 4200 or bigger for your pond. Also, you don't mention a skimmer. How will you skim the top of your water with a 18 foot pond? That's a lot of surface to keep free of leaves and such. Just put it right next to your barrels and throw a laundry basket over it for protection.

Ask a Question