Pond continuously covered in floating oak leaves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My pond is 16 years old. It is shaded by an old oak tree. This year particularly when its warmer, leaves on the botyom float to the too making a kind of porridge. I have yesyed tha water. Ph 6.8, zero nitrates and amonia. We have no fish but insect life water boatmen dragonfly previously breeding are absent. A water lill has browning leaves.

Image attached.

Any ideas on cause and solution?

Regards

Bob Jones

Attachments

• 20190622_121347.jpg
    20190622_121347.jpg
    498.8 KB · Views: 179
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
If you had a built-in skimmer, it would take in any floating debris. I guess you will have to use a net to scoop out all that undesirable debris. This is what I do. I use a pool net.
If you want to prevent the leaves from getting into the pond, get a pond net. They are the same thing as a bird net that people cover their fruit trees with. It's an inexpensive nylon mesh that is almost invisible until you get up close to it.
I use one of these nets during the fall.
You could just stretch the net across the pond and hold it in place with rocks, but it's better to lift it up with something so the weight of the leaves don't cause it to sink into the water. I made a PVC pipe frame creating an arch, then attach the net to that. The arch helps keep the leaves off the net.
You could also suspend the net several feet above the pond either with poles or ropes between trees. Some people do this and use a heavier fishing type net.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum.

Get a nice pool net and net the leaves out. Maybe do a partial water change also.

Ask a Question