Pond Cover for Leaves

Reaction score
Country
United States
I wanted to show you ponders the cover we made to keep the leaves out of the pond. Its made with PCV conduit, wire ties and rebar. I can still get to every area of the pond by lifting up the netting. I think my hubby did a fantastic job!

untitled.png pond cover 3.JPG
untitled.png
pond cover 3.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
That's a great cover to keep leaves out. What are the dimensions of your pond? Is the rebar anchoring the PVC in the ground? Looks like I've got a project to work on before the leaves start falling:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I wanted to show you ponders the cover we made to keep the leaves out of the pond. Its made with PCV conduit, wire ties and rebar. I can still get to every area of the pond by lifting up the netting. I think my hubby did a fantastic job!

View attachment 95085 View attachment 95086 View attachment 95085 View attachment 95086

I've been doing the same thing for several years now. I haven't used rebar. Are you using 3/4" pvc with 1/2" rebar in the the ground to support the rebar?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've been doing the same thing for several years now. I haven't used rebar. Are you using 3/4" pvc with 1/2" rebar in the the ground to support the rebar?

Yes! That is exactly right. The rebar is bashed into the ground with about 1 foot sticking out and the hollow pvc pipe fits right on.

Reaction score
Country
United States
That's a great cover to keep leaves out. What are the dimensions of your pond? Is the rebar anchoring the PVC in the ground? Looks like I've got a project to work on before the leaves start falling:)

It is not as bad a project as you think. The hardest part was driving home with the 10 foot pvc pipe! Pvc is very flexible and the pieces fit into each other if you need longer pieces. We used a hacksaw to cut the pvc to fit.

Reaction score
Country
United States

The dimensions of the pond are approximately 20 feet x 17 feet. Once the rebar is in the ground you can anchor one end of the pvc while making the "bow".

My pond is surrounded by a forest of trees not to mention the one directly over it. When the pretty leaves have fallen and taken away the oaks leaves drop. Leaf drop seems to last months! Last year I decided none of my previous ideas of keeping the leaves out worked all that well and just let the leaves fall where they may. NEVER AGAIN! Cleaning out the pond last spring was just awful. I also think all those decaying leaves in the pond killed most of my goldfish. Only 3 of 30 survived what wasn't to bad a winter.

I saw a much smaller version of this leaf net on this site. It was my husband's idea to make it larger. He is great at "McGivering" things!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
The dimensions of the pond are approximately 20 feet x 17 feet. Once the rebar is in the ground you can anchor one end of the pvc while making the "bow".

My pond is surrounded by a forest of trees not to mention the one directly over it. When the pretty leaves have fallen and taken away the oaks leaves drop. Leaf drop seems to last months! Last year I decided none of my previous ideas of keeping the leaves out worked all that well and just let the leaves fall where they may. NEVER AGAIN! Cleaning out the pond last spring was just awful. I also think all those decaying leaves in the pond killed most of my goldfish. Only 3 of 30 survived what wasn't to bad a winter.

I saw a much smaller version of this leaf net on this site. It was my husband's idea to make it larger. He is great at "McGivering" things!

I posted this last year. I drove 1-1/2" pvc into the ground, then put the 3/4" pvc into the larger pvc as an anchor. Actually, I think I try the rebar as it sounds easier, won't clog with dirt and drive right in. Thanks .... Here's the pic I post last year. Never lost a fish during the winter. No dirt or leave. I use a 3/8" netting and the skimmer runs all winter with a 1000 watt deicer directly in front of the skimmer. Pond just doesn't freeze.

I made this ...
.... Pic of mine below along with the netting. The controller which I also bought on amazon quite cheap allows you to set a high low temp like those cubes they sell but this doesn't fail and saves quite a lot of electricity. I got the box at home depot. I'd say it's a $35 project.

Netting.jpg
IMG_6290.jpg
IMG_6291.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I used rebar and fit my pipe over the rebar .My son put my outlets for my pond on switch's that are in my bedroom closet .Each one is marked for each thing that is plugged into it .I love it because it keeps me from falling down slippery steps .I don't have inside access to my basement ,less chance of some one ever getting in the house from the basement

Reaction score
Country
United States
I posted this last year. I drove 1-1/2" pvc into the ground, then put the 3/4" pvc into the larger pvc as an anchor. Actually, I think I try the rebar as it sounds easier, won't clog with dirt and drive right in. Thanks .... Here's the pic I post last year. Never lost a fish during the winter. No dirt or leave. I use a 3/8" netting and the skimmer runs all winter with a 1000 watt deicer directly in front of the skimmer. Pond just doesn't freeze.

I made this ...
.... Pic of mine below along with the netting. The controller which I also bought on amazon quite cheap allows you to set a high low temp like those cubes they sell but this doesn't fail and saves quite a lot of electricity. I got the box at home depot. I'd say it's a $35 project.

View attachment 95095 View attachment 95096 View attachment 95097

I think this is the picture I got my inspiration from!

I really like your de icer idea. I might use that too. I see you're from NY so you have the same cold weather problems as I have. I'm from central Massachusetts. My waterfall/skimmer has run continuously for the past 8 years. Being its almost 4 feet deep the pond doesn't freeze solid and the waterfall keeps a hole open. It sounds like you do the same thing.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I think this is the picture I got my inspiration from!

I really like your de icer idea. I might use that too. I see you're from NY so you have the same cold weather problems as I have. I'm from central Massachusetts. My waterfall/skimmer has run continuously for the past 8 years. Being its almost 4 feet deep the pond doesn't freeze solid and the waterfall keeps a hole open. It sounds like you do the same thing.

I do the same thing, right! The pond, also 4' deep never freezes in the worst of winters as the skimmer flows to the water fall but the heater
right in front of the weir seems to do the trick. I drain my bead filter, remove the UV's, flip a jandy valve and it's set.
This is the piece I used in the box .... https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-All-...-2&keywords=temperature+controller+thermostat

Wiring is pretty basic if you follow one of the you-tubes. Actually if you decide to do it, this the you-tube video that is very specific. I set mine as a low air temp of 32F to go on and 38F to shut down. Last year the pond never went below 43F .... Great idea!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States

View attachment 95085 View attachment 95086 View attachment 95085 View attachment 95086

@mondotomhead .... Quick question ... I have a smaller 12 x 9 pond. I used one crossbar and the snow collapses it and then it pops back to shape when the snow melts. My crossbar was only on top, not anchored down into the ground. I've used the rebar, btw and it's much better and easier.
So, did you use a torch to bend the 3/4" pvc at the 4 spots or fittings. Seems a torch might be easy ??? Thx

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States

Ask a Question