pond coverage

rdk

Reaction score
I have a small 300gal pond. I am having trouble keeping a proper balance in the pond. I have 50% plant coverage. Would I have better luck next spring if I increased it? Please let me know. Thank you

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
I have a 365 gallon pond with about 70% to 80% of plants covering the surface, water lillies to be spacific. Up until a couple of weeks ago I had water hyacinths that in addition to the lilly pads cover all of the surface of my pond. I ended up at point where I couldn't give the stuff away fast enough. So I pulled it all out, and it went into the compost pile. Now I can actually see and feed my shubunkins.

Plant growth is and will be slowing down for the fall and into the winter. Next spring would be the best time to start adding more of a variety to your pond. I would suggest adding some bog plants around your pond on the shelves if you have a pre-formed (molded) pond.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
if the ponds in full sun it might help if you can put some shade over it plants or something home made ...i too have problems trying to grow plants as mine is in full sun all day and its rather a heat trap ...if you have to many plants covering your pond you wont get to see much of your fish

rdk

Reaction score
Would adding 70% to 80% pond coverage from my present 50% coverage next spring help my Ammonia problem ?

Reaction score
no. ammonia is present because of fish waste (pooing and pee) and decay of plant matter, etc.

How often do you do partial water changes? Partial water changes each week of at least 25% are what keep your ammonia in check.

Please tell us about your water change schedule.

rdk

Reaction score
I have just started 30% water change this week, and will do it every week. You are saying that soon I will see an improvement in my Ammonia problem? Leave the pond coverage at 50% ?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
if your doing real large water changes are you dechlorinating? if your not and your water is treated with chloramine its got ammonia in it

rdk

Reaction score
The pond is 4 by 7 feet 300 gallons with 5 goldfish one 5". another 4" 2 are 3" one is 2" I dechlorinate with the water change

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
what are you doing for a filter? plants alone are not enough in a small closed system a bio filter would break down the ammonia to plant usable nutrients..

rdk

Reaction score
This morning when I tested it was 1.0 down from 2.0 the day before. In the past I have had it as high as 8.0. I keep my fish alive by using Ammo Lock but I want to stop it as soon as possible. My pond is new built in May. I have a pond master pump with waterfall rated for 600 gal with filter box and filters. I bought a 4 pound bag of zeolite and added several packs of cheep plain scrubeys to the bottom of the pond.

Reaction score
What can you tell us about this filter box and filters? I'm not clear on what you mean. The scrubeys are sitting in the bottom of your pond and not in a filtraiton container?? I'm not sure I'm picturing this correctly.

Ok, well, you can see that your ammonia is going down because you are now doing water changes. You need to continue that each week at 25%. I would do a bigger one next week of 50%, just to really rid you pond of most of the ammonia. If you do water changes, you don't need to use expensive chemicals like ammolock. your pond is a toilet with fish pooping and peeing in it--that gets out of there by doing water changes. Sort of like flushing a toilet clears a bowl.

Scrubbies laying in the bottom of you pond is not filtration. Nothing should be on the bottom of your pond. You will see several examples of filters on this site in the construction section. All easy DIY ideas.... you need to rig one up quickly.

rdk

Reaction score
The filter box is plastic 3" deep about 12" wide and about14" long . Inside is two layers of foam material one clear and the other black, This is attached by a small water pipe to the water pump. The other end is attached to the water fall. Do you think I need to use a bigger filter box? I will do 50% water change this week end

Reaction score
get rid of that box, it's junk. Trust me, as when i started ponding and knew nothing, I had one. It's a PITA to haul outta the water to clean and it clogs, etc. There is also is not enough surface area to build a good bacteria colony. Sorry, being blunt, but trying to be honest with you.

What you need is a small barrel or flower pot filter. They are super easy to make and cheap. You still haven't explained the scrubbies...

Stick with the box through fall and then scrap it and build yourself a filter for spring and do things right. But partial water changes are a must each week, particularly with a pond that small.

Ask a Question