Pond deicer for early season water garden?

Joshaeus

Water hawthorn, Aponogeton Distachyos
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi everyone! I want to set up a 70" by 36" by 36" greenhouse on my back patio early April and - to maintain reasonable nighttime temps - was going to use a 15-20 gallon water garden in it as a heat sink. Would a deicer work at night to keep this water garden liquid? If so, how large of one would be needed? Thanks :)

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
For something that small, I would check in to a birdbath heater. If you are concerned about a 15 gallon container freezing inside a greenhouse then maybe a heater inside the greenhouse would suit you better. I use a small ceramic heater in mine. It has a thermostat and kept mine at a nice 75-80f.

Joshaeus

Water hawthorn, Aponogeton Distachyos
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks :) I may try an inkbird controller with a 400 watt titanium heater attached - more flexibility that way.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am not familiar with the heater you are choosing just make sure it is outdoor safe. If your pond is plastic, make sure to 'cage' the heater so it doesn't burn a hole through the plastic.

Ask a Question