Pond deicer

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is the first winter for our pond. It about 20 feet long, 8 feet wide and 3 1/2 feet deep. It has a bog that is about 40% of the ponds surface area. The bog is fed by two pumps, one to a waterfall and one to the plumbing under an eighteen inch deep bed of river pebbles/gravel. I am in zone 6, St. Louis, MO. The pond is stocked with young koi and goldfish. I need to buy a deicer, but I can’t figure out what to buy. There are way too many choices. I am riddled with indecision! Please save me from my paralyzing indecision.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I live in zone 7a and bought the Laguna 315 deicer. I am happy with it. I really didn't need it at all last year, but as it was my first year I really didn't know you only need to run the heater when it was actually below freezing and the pond was a risk of freezing over. That changed after my pond-owning neighbor looked surprised when I told him the de-icer was raising my electric bill. I think I will just use my aerator this winter to keep the oxygen levels up and surface disturbed enough ice won't form unless it gets really cold. I should mention that I also keep my pond running year round so the water is never completely still.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Are you sure that freezing is a possibility for your location? How cold are your winters, and is the cold consistent? I don’t have to worry about ice, but have heard of good results with the Pond Breather.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I use the pond breather, we have had some cold winters, have had ice on the ponds since I started using them. No fish deaths, minimal electricity use.

Last winter I didn't even turn them on, we had a minimal ice covering about twice.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@Angela - we've had some conversations lately about de-icers here and I can tell you I would NOT recommend the one I have or any that designed like mine. It's very topsy turvy and won't stay upright in the pond without being propped up. It looks like this (not sure what brand):
Unknown.jpeg

I would look for one that is more disc shaped that would sit flat on the ice like this:

images.jpeg

Having said that, we no longer use a pond de-icer on a regular basis as we now leave our pond running all winter in zone 5A (north of Chicago). Keeping the water moving eliminates the need for a de-icer to keep an open hole. Our pond will be completely covered in ice or snow, but the constantly moving water solves the issue of gas build up. You do need to be sure your pond is constructed to allow for winter though - no external pumps, a wide enough water fall to accommodate ice damming, etc. But it is another option... and it makes for some beautiful winter scenery!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I live about 40 miles south of St. Louis. The winters here do get plenty cold enough for water to freeze if it's not moving. It is not common to have long stents of below freezing here, so i think if set up correct the ponds will be ok.

This is my ponds first winter as well. I have a deicer ready if needed, but I intend to keep the pumps running. I think my water flow will be enough. My pumps are 3 feet under water, my only concern is the line to the waterfall, which is only hidden by a shrub. I might try to bury it before things get cold.

I'm really not a fan of winter, and now with this pond project, I am not looking forward to the cold.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Are you sure that freezing is a possibility for your location? How cold are your winters, and is the cold consistent? I don’t have to worry about ice, but have heard of good results with the Pond Breather.
I live about 40 miles south of St. Louis. The winters here do get plenty cold enough for water to freeze if it's not moving. It is not common to have long stents of below freezing here, so i think if set up correct the ponds will be ok.

This is my ponds first winter as well. I have a deicer ready if needed, but I intend to keep the pumps running. I think my water flow will be enough. My pumps are 3 feet under water, my only concern is the line to the waterfall, which is only hidden by a shrub. I might try to bury it before things get cold.

I'm really not a fan of winter, and now with this pond project, I am not looking forward to the cold.
[/QUOT

Me either and you are right about the weather. St. Louis is the only place where you can experience all four seasons in the same week. Last week there was a frost warning and it reached 85 today!

Reaction score
Country
United States
@Angela - we've had some conversations lately about de-icers here and I can tell you I would NOT recommend the one I have or any that designed like mine. It's very topsy turvy and won't stay upright in the pond without being propped up. It looks like this (not sure what brand):
View attachment 134561

I would look for one that is more disc shaped that would sit flat on the ice like this:

View attachment 134562

Having said that, we no longer use a pond de-icer on a regular basis as we now leave our pond running all winter in zone 5A (north of Chicago). Keeping the water moving eliminates the need for a de-icer to keep an open hole. Our pond will be completely covered in ice or snow, but the constantly moving water solves the issue of gas build up. You do need to be sure your pond is constructed to allow for winter though - no external pumps, a wide enough water fall to accommodate ice damming, etc. But it is another option... and it makes for some beautiful winter scenery!
Thank you. I. was considering one that rested on the bottom. Chicago winters are much harsher than Missouri’s winters.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Deicers are not meant to heat the pond, just keep a hole open for gas exchange. Pond breather uses 40 watts to move water past a small heater. I have heavy duty heaters-1500w but haven't had to plug those in since I got the breathers. Too expensive to run!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@mrsclem beat me to it - there are no de-icers that sit at the bottom of the pond. You aren't trying to heat the pond - just keep a hole in the ice for gasses to escape. If you cannot keep the pond running all winter, then I would suggest a pond breather as your next best alternative. I have never used one, but lots of people here have and swear by them. In my experience with a de-icer, they only keep a hole underneath them - a thick blanket of snow could bury it. I have seen people suggest using a de-icer situated directly over an aerator - that may compensate for the de-icer being covered in snow... not sure. Winter can be a tricky beast.

But you are correct - Missouri isn't Chicago, so your experience will be different. We have all crossed our fingers through those first few winters, so you are not alone there. We ran our pond all winter for the first time during the winter of 2014 - Chicago's famous polar vortex. That was one loooooong winter. But it all worked out great and we've never looked back.

@Kurtkoinut - definitely get that line buried. Moving water shouldn't freeze, but if you have any kind of pump stoppage you'll wish that line was insulated by the ground.

Ask a Question