pond deicer?

Reaction score
Looking into getting one of these this year. Does anyone of any good brands that they recommend?

Reaction score
Thank you. I had never heard of these until i found this forum. You would think i would have run across them having a pond and everything.

Reaction score
I tried using a floating deicer last year but it didn't really work too well. It would freeze solid around the deicer many times. I ended up having to take a propane torch out and just melted ice every few days.. I kept the pump on to keep the water flowing though too, hmm. I'd like to get a better deicer but I'm not sure if the cost is worth it. I noticed a jump in the electric bill also, a good $20-30 with it running for a few days on and off.

Reaction score
The reason that ice holes are so important is that decaying plant and fish waste breakdown into methane gas. Make sure to use a leaf net and sludge remover or beneficial bacteria to prevent muck from taking over your pond. Deicers are different from heaters and are lower watts and therefore cost less to run. You can compare heaters and deicers on the site. Thermo pond costs only about $50 a season. Using stock tank heaters are very, very costly and can melt your liner. Another good solution is to use a strong air pump. If you have any other questions feel free to call or email me. Enjoy the last few days of summer, Gail

Reaction score
yeah, it was a stock heater that i used. i'm thinking it was 2500 watts or something pretty large. i made sure i mounted it so it wouldnt hit the liner, so no worries there. just the cost of running it, and having it do barely anything. this winter i'm probably going to run a high poewred air pump, as that worked better last year for me.

-dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Thank you. I had never heard of these until i found this forum. You would think i would have run across them having a pond and everything.

I've been using these for maybe 15 years. You buy a separate wire frame so it floats but can't hit the liner. I also recently built a thermo controller so I run a 75ft extension into my shed and it kicks on at 35F and off at 38F ... By keeping my skimmer running all winter, the deicer stays in front of the skimmer weir and the pond never ever freezes, not even last year. The water warms and circulates. 2000 gallons ....

http://www.amazon.com/Allied-Precis...=1453511825&sr=8-2&keywords=1000+watt+de-icer

http://www.amazon.com/Allied-Precis..._UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=1RNCKRR33FG7WVRGD4XZ

Ask a Question